• Register Today It's free!

4x4 problems

Ruben9237

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer xlt
Hey guys I just got done replacing my transmission (5 speed manual) and t case now I get like a metal scraping noice when I drive at slow speeds and 4x4 not working t case shifts into low and high but front wheels won’t spin.any help would be greatly appreciated (99 xl) I don’t have the front vacuum pump for 4x4 like the later models

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd guess that your transfer case is chewed up inside and needs rebuilt or replaced. Just for the heck of it, I'd try a drain and fill, see what the fluid looks like and how much comes out.

Sounds like what mine did when the t-case self-destructed. Is the sound compounded when you make a slow turn?

Sounds like what mine did when the t-case self-destructed. Is the sound compounded when you make a slow turn?
Hey guys here’s an update… so I took the t case out and brought it back to the junk yard I got it from and switched it out turns out it was bad and the sound was actually coming from emergency brake shose so I just took them out they never worked anyway thansk for all the help

wild

I am suspicious of any used t-case from the JY. At best, they should be purchased as cores with the expectation of needing a rebuild, IMO. Glad you got yours exchanged for a good one, though.

Back