4x4 Selector switch doesn't function | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 Selector switch doesn't function

BTShaffer

Reaction score
City, State
Lynchburg
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 4.6 Explorer XLT 4x4
I have a 2002 ford explorer 4.6 with 4x4 and for some reason the 4x4 selector switch doesn't seem to do anything. I replaced the 4X4 module behind the glove box but it didn't have any effect. I don't believe I have any blown fuses but there might be a random fuse somewhere in the system I don't know about.
Any ideas would be helpful.
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the site!

It's possible that the switch has failed. It can be tested with a multimeter. If you have pick-and-pull junkyards, I'm sure you could get one cheap enough for testing. I'm not terrible familiar with the 3rd gens. Do they have a 2wd setting? Or are the 4 auto/4 high/ 4 low? If that's the case, you won't hear and 'shifting' between auto and high. I'm assuming to make the shift into low you need to be stopped with your foot in the brake, and in either park or neutral.

Thanks for your input!
It is the version with the 4high, auto, and 4low.
I'm thinking it might be the switch because there is absolutely no response with button depression.
I'll check and see if its dead and let you know.

I have a 2002 ford explorer 4.6 with 4x4 and for some reason the 4x4 selector switch doesn't seem to do anything. I replaced the 4X4 module behind the glove box but it didn't have any effect. I don't believe I have any blown fuses but there might be a random fuse somewhere in the system I don't know about.
Any ideas would be helpful.
Thanks

Happened a couple times on my 2002. Once it was the module. Once it was a broken wire. For a while I would occasionally remove fuses 17 & 18 in the Power Distribution box, slip them in and out a couple times, sometimes with electrical cleaner, and the FWD would work again. It's worked for a couple years since the last used module went in.

Zeke B.

Happened a couple times on my 2002. Once it was the module. Once it was a broken wire. For a while I would occasionally remove fuses 17 & 18 in the Power Distribution box, slip them in and out a couple times, sometimes with electrical cleaner, and the FWD would work again. It's worked for a couple years since the last used module went in.

Zeke B.

Where was the broken wire? I'm having the same issue and replaced the module and switch with no change.

Where was the broken wire? I'm having the same issue and replaced the module and switch with no change.

I wish I could tell you. The first time the FWD went out, I took it to a good mechanic who said he found a broken wire underneath the car. The next time the FWD went out, I jacked and cribbed and shoved my creaky oversized self underneath looking for a broken wire, but to no avail. That time, it was the module.

Zeke B.

The ground wire (black) on the transfer case shift motor.

Back