4x4 Shift Computer/motor.. red light and button etc etc | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 Shift Computer/motor.. red light and button etc etc

TooL

Reaction score
City, State
Tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92
On my 1992 ford explorer there is a computer thats devoted to my auto 4x4 button shifter thats located on the drivers side in the back. Anyone know what that button is for and what the light means (on and off, doesnt blink, its either on or off). I hit the button and the red light comes on, I hit the 4x4 high button up front and the red light goes off (and the computer makes a clicking, computer, NOT the actual motor).

I took apart and put back together the shift motor replacing the broken gasket bump stop, and it still doesnt work. The motor itself works, i hooked the leads up to a battery to test it. The problem is either A: i assimbled it slightly off (have to twist it to get the screws to line up when putting back on the transfer case, about 10 degrees) or B: the computer is broken. I marked everything when I took it apart and put it back together by the marks, but it doesnt line up 100% correct with the transfer case.

I guess I should try realigning the cap on the shift motor itself first?

ALSO when I hook up the shift motor (leaving it haning to test it) and switch my keyswitch to ON, it runs and aligns itself up with the transfercase, slightly off as mentioned above.

Back