• Register Today It's free!

4x4 shift module??

bmd33

Reaction score
City, State
Coatesville, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Explorer
Can anyone help me with an '02 Explorer shift module? My explorer has no 4wd right now and the dealer says its due to the shift module needing replaced. The freaking car has 39k on it. Now i love my Exp. but this seems awfully early for a 4wd problem doesn't it? I'd like to fix it myself but can't seem to find this part they speak of available anywhere. If anyone can point me in the right direction to find this part it would be greatly appreciated.

BTW-This site is incredible!!!

Thanks a million!!

Brent-Pa

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a 02' Limited that had the same problem, sometimes I had no 4x4, while other times 4x4 was engaged all the time, but mine happened at 8'000 miles. The dealer told me that Ford got a batch of modules that had a bad Motorola chip in them which caused the problem. Unless there aren't any other visible problems, chances are you'll need a new control module. Good luck

TurboATV said:
I had a 02' Limited that had the same problem, sometimes I had no 4x4, while other times 4x4 was engaged all the time, but mine happened at 8'000 miles. The dealer told me that Ford got a batch of modules that had a bad Motorola chip in them which caused the problem. Unless there aren't any other visible problems, chances are you'll need a new control module. Good luck

Wish I could paste the pictures.....

Four-Wheel Drive (4WD) Control Module
Removal and Installation

Disconnect the battery ground cable. For additional information, refer to Section 414-01.
Press in on the glove compartment at the points shown and lower the glove compartment. (i.e. squeeze the sides when it's open)

Remove the 4WD control module.
Disconnect the 4WD control module electrical connectors.
Remove the two screws.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.

There is one screw on each side of it, and two connectors that plug in from the bottom. Might want to try checking the connections before you replace the module, but I suspect the module is bad.

-Joe

Thanks

Thanks guys! Now, anyone tell me where i might be able to buy one myself...aside from the dealer?

Thanks again!
Brent

4x4 Shift Module

I have the same problem on my 91 Explorer. Only it's when the weather gets cold it won't shift into 4 wheel drive. In nice weather it does fine-at least for now anyway. I also would like to know where I could purchase this 4x4 Module.

Thanks

For the '02, dealer or junk yard are the only two I know of. For the '91, I'm not too sure, but I doubt anyone makes one aftermarket.

-Joe

Located behind glove box door, bolted to the blower housing.

module.jpg

Yep it is a dealer only part to my knowledge.
I tried elsewhere and was told that due to the large quantity of modules with different calibration codes within each model year, parts stores would not carry them.
$289 from the dealer if I remember correctly

4x4 Shift Module

Thanks for the info guys. Looks like I will be giving the local Ford dealership a call here. At least the Module isn't that expensive. Could be a lot worse.

Back