4x4 stuck in 4lo | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 stuck in 4lo

Bill felde

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Sport Trac
I apologize and know this has been covered somewhere but have not been able to find it.Thanks in advance for any answers and help.I have a 2003 sport trac truck 4x4.it was stuck in 4lo.I removed the motor at the transfer case and manually turned the shaft to 2wd.While I had the motor out I checked it by hooking to 12 volts,motor ran both ways.I feel motor is ok?it is now out of 4lo and in 2wd,but the 4lo light is still illuminated on the dash.I have unplugged the control unit and plugged back up,light still on.I have disconnected the battery to see if that would reset everything.4lo light still on.I feel like the control unit is bad?When I move the turn knob/switch for the 4wd,it clicks twice at the control unit for each selection I make,but the 4lo light is still illuminated.What should I check next or should I just replace the control unit?Thanks again in advance for any replys.

You seem to know your way around the Sport Trac so I just e-mailed you some schematics ad diagnostic info.

Thanks ncranchero

Thank you for your time!I did receive the email.I am sure it will help.Thanks again!

Just be sure to check the connectors at the module and at the motor as well as the grounds behind that right kick panel.

Back