• Register Today It's free!

4x4 will not work

hckyrugb

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Eddie Bauer
The 4 wheel drive is not working in my 1995. The lights go on but there is no power to the front wheels. I jacked up the truck and put it into 4low. Both of the tires would spin when I turned them. The opposite wheel would also turn when this was done. When the car was shut off, the spinning of the tires would spin the driveshaft. With the car running, the drive shaft will not move when the tires are rotated. Any knowledge would be helpful.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the same problem with my 95' and from what you have described it sound like the front axle isn't locking in. I've been trying to get more technical info on vaccum diconnect axle lock, but I've haven't had much luck,
maybe one of should post a new thread? :banghead:

thanks for the idea I will try to check it out

For what it might be worth - Look for a round Vacuum Solenoid on the fron axle next to the passenger side wheel (in the front of course). It disconnects from the axle with 4 bolts I believe. It is what slides the gears over to engage the hubs. Might be your problem. You can get one at a parts yard for $5. Not sure that it is called a Vacuum Solenoid, but it is responsible for doing what I described.
Hope this helps.

I don't know about 5 bucks aat a bone yard, a new one is about $500(dealer only) gotta love ford :fire:

The vacuum line was not connected. This is probably the problem. I was un able to find the hole for the vacuum hose on the engine

I took the axle lock apart and it was not the problem. the hose a found was a release valve for the the axle lock. I have no idea where to go from here.

You reconnected the vacuum hose at the differential and checked it's opposite connection? Should be routed to the Octopus I think, but not sure. Also, make sure there are not cracks/breaks in that vacuum line. And don't mistake the differential overflow hose for the vacuum line......... That hose has no terminus.

I checked the the vacuum hoses to the vacuum axle lock, which is a foot toward the passenger wheel from the differential. I pulled it out of the axle and engaged the 4X4. The axle lock moved when the 4X4 was turned on. So, I reconnected It, it showed no problem. Is there a vacuum line that runs to the dif also?

I finally took the truck to the shop. It seems that the transfer case is shot. thanks for the help everyone. Anyone know where to get a cheap t- case.

Back