• Register Today It's free!

5.0 Radiator interchange?

JoshT

Reaction score
City, State
Middle Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ranger
Looking into radiators for the 5.0 swap into my Ranger. I live in middle GA, so like having as much cooling as I can get for summers. Even with the stock 4.0L, truck came with and I kept a stock dual row radiator. The 5.0 is probably going to need as much or more cooling capacity, and even if the single row is adequate I'd like to stick with a dual row. I think I even had a 1998 Explorer 5.0L dual row radiator mounted in this truck at one time, since I had it from one that I parted out.

Core support and engine placement will be the same between the Ranger and Explorer. I will be running the Explorer radiator and fan shroud in my truck unlike some that try (probably successfully) to get by with the 4.0L radiator.

My donor is a 2000 Explorer 5.0L that came with a single row radiator. Looking online all I'm seeing for the 2000 is single row replacements.

I find listings for a two row for 1996-1999 Explorer 5.0L. Visual comparison in listing pictures suggests that they are the same for mounting, water outlets, condenser mounting, and transmission conections, just a thicker core.

I guess to simplify the question, is there any reason that I could not run a 1996-1999 Explorer 5.0L dual row radiator in a 2000 Explorer 5.0L in place of the stock single core radiator?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2000 and I am running the older two core radiator with no problems. I too wanted the extra cooling. I installed it after a rebuild but before the blower install. It has more cooling capacity with two rows.

96-01 explorer same radiator
Mounting

Your ranger has A metal bracket at the
Bottom that retains the bottom of the radiator you will have to lose this to run the 5.0’unit.
You said you had a dual row 5.0
Radiator in there before, that is the one you want.

My 88 bii is cooled with a dual core 4.0
Radiator For a 91-94 explorer.
I have ac and and auto trans
I also have nylon 5.0 cooling fan and clutch. It works ok but like you said in summer when it is 90+ degrees and the ac is on it is barely adequate.
I did have a custom Rob Davis radiator at one time it would
Cool anything as it was 8” wider then the 4.0
Radiator I have now. Then I tried an eBay all aluminum dual core 4.0 unit, it worked well but failed after a few years… so I went to a stock 93 explorer dual row and it is working.

The 5.0 dual row radiator is the one you want they are still out there but harder to find these days. Mounting into your ranger is pretty straight forward as your 98+ ranger uses similar shape and size unit

Look closely at AutoZone radiator specs, you'll see 96-97 V8 radiators are thicker vs 98-01.

Pretty sure cap psi rating is higher on later radiators also.

Thank y'all.

@410Fortune I figured it would be, but wanted to verify since they have different tear range listings.

I noticed and have already removed the bracket you mentioned. I think I've had a dual row 5.0 radiator at one point, but I still had that bracket so maybe not. Would also be the reason I had to cut the original 4.0 fan shroud to fit. I swapped all of it back to stock Ranger stuff when I replaced the 4.0L a few years ago. That radiator is probably still in the pile at Dad house, I'll have to look for it when I'm back over working on the truck on Friday. I don't recall there actually being anything wrong with that radiator, so might just use it if I can find it.

I thought about going aftermarket aluminum, and if there was a direct fit option I probably would. I just don't feel like accommodating all the tradeoffs of installing and using one. I'd have to figure out and fab for mounting, and probably use the Ranger AC condenser which would require draining and servicing the AC system. I'm going to opt for the biggest direct fit, bolt in option I can get until it proves inadequate.

Seems to be plenty of dual rows available new, at least in RockAuto. If I don't still have one, I'll definitely be buying new.

@Turdle not entirely sure what you are getting at there. Not seeing the specs you refer to on AutoZone, but have been comparing listed specs on RockAuto. They list the same radiator for 96-99 and a different one for 00-01, but it wouldn't be the first time I saw the wrong years listed. I am aware of the earlier unit having a thicker core, that is why I was asking about using it.

Both year ranges use a 16 psi radiator cap from what I can see.

96-01 explorer same radiator
Mounting

Your ranger has A metal bracket at the
Bottom that retains the bottom of the radiator you will have to lose this to run the 5.0’unit.
Y...

Does the Ranger use the identical V6 radiator as the Explorer V6? If so, that's the best radiator to use, because it does not mount the AC condenser to it.

The 302 Explorers have the same sized radiators as the V6 models, only core thickness and condenser mounting differs. So you want the thicker core, select the early 2nd gens, that's what the part stores are listing as the only difference, the core thickness. That happened during 1998 evidently, my three 302's all have the thicker core.

But that all being true, the V8 radiator does mount forward under the radiator support, while the V6 does not. My 99 is a V6 with the thin core, and there's a little gap between the radiator and the support. The 302 radiator tucks under it some. If the fan clearance is no problem, choose the best V6 version you like. I'd aim for an aluminum unit if I could trust one, the plastic tanks are a weakness.

Exactly

AutoZone lists duralast b1824 for 1997

B2308 for 2000. B1824 fits same, double row thick.

Wierd. Only 1998 shows the 13 psi rad cap version on rockauto. All other years are 16 psi from what I see. I remember this from owning a 98. Why the difference?

Edit. Difference of radiators can be seen on az website. Engine side view shows recessed fin area on 2308. The fins are flush , front and rear on 1824

Does the Ranger use the identical V6 radiator as the Explorer V6? If so, that's the best radiator to use, because it does not mount the AC condenser to it.

The 302 Explorers have the same sized radiators as the V6 models, only core thickness and condenser mounting differs. So you want the thicker core, select the early 2nd gens, that's what the part stores are listing as the only difference, the core thickness. That happened during 1998 evidently, my three 302's all have the thicker core.

But that all being true, the V8 radiator does mount forward under the radiator support, while the V6 does not. My 99 is a V6 with the thin core, and there's a little gap between the radiator and the support. The 302 radiator tucks under it some. If the fan clearance is no problem, choose the best V6 version you like. I'd aim for an aluminum unit if I could trust one, the plastic tanks are a weakness.

Couldn't tell you in that one. Haven't even compared the Ranger V6 radiator close to the Explorer V8 radiator.

Early 2nd Gen was the plan, just need/wanted to verify that there wouldn't be any issues. I am assuming that the bean counters dropped the second core for the late second gens.

I understand your argument for using the V6 radiator and condenser, but I will be sticking with the V8 stuff for the time being. I saw the hassle of removing the radiator and condenser as I was removing the from the V8 Explorer, so I know what I'm signing up for. The AC system in the Explorer was fully functional and I was able to remove it intact without discharging the system. I will be reinstalling it the same way. Avoiding the hassle is not worth having the added work to discharge and recharge the system.

Might swap over down the road if the AC system ever needs to be opened up.

Also understand the risks of plastic tanks, I've been driving a 99 Ranger with them since 2005. Oddly enough never had a problem with the seals like people claim, but have had a tank burst/crack.

The AC condenser should swap easily between the radiators, that lower mounting bracket is the difference. So you can choose which you have or like either way, that V6 bracket just makes it more obvious.

AutoZone lists duralast b1824 for 1997

B2308 for 2000. B1824 fits same, double row thick.

Wierd. Only 1998 shows the 13 psi rad cap version on rockauto. All other years are 16 psi from what I see. I remember this from owning a 98. Why the difference?

Edit. Difference of radiators can be seen on az website. Engine side view shows recessed fin area on 2308. The fins are flush , front and rear on 1824

Understand now, thought might have been talking about a different actual dimension listed on there, but I wasn't spotting it. Yes ,dual row (thicker) vs single row (thinner) is exactly why I was posting.

V8 Explorer condenser mounts to radiator. V6 Ranger condenser mounts to core support. Don't know how V6 Explorer condenser mounts.

I have to use the V8 Explorer compressor, V6 Ranger compressor won't fit the engine. To use that compressor without opening the system I need to use the V8 Explorer condenser. That means using the V8 radiator is necessary.

Mounting wise, it sounds like I could use the V6 condenser with the V8 radiator, but not vice versa. That said it also sounds like the V8 radiator might tuck under the core support more which means it might not fit with the V6 condenser.

Bear with me if I'm missing some obvious, I've been nursing a headache for the last few hours.

You should be able to use either radiator and either condenser. The freon I wouldn't make the decision over, swap the AC compressor with the swap and pay the minor cost to service the AC. The green o-rings are due to be replaced anyway, simply be sure to state you want that done along with the freon. If open the system and leave it open for days, then the drier should be replaced.

Does the Explorer V6 radiator have the mounts for the V8 condenser? I now that the Ranger one does not.

At this point I can't get either to a shop that services AC. Not trying to track down someone that does it mobile. Not venting to atmos if I can avoid it. Since it functions, it is simpler for me to remove and swap intact.

If I could get it to a local shop, I have delt with them in the past and can tell you that it would not be a minor fee. There are several shops that claim to service AC around here, but in reality they just connect that same repair freon can you buy at the local auto parts store. Only a few places that actually do repair and service. They probably would have discharged it for a minor fee, but when it came time to recharge they would have insisted on replacing every component. They would quote a price then conveniently discover that every line or component was bad when trying to vacuum and charge it. BTDT with them. I'd sooner rebuild and recharge it myself, BTDT too, but that ain't in the cards for right now.

Already removed both systems intact. The Explorer system is partially installed in the Ranger. The evap core and dryer are already in place, and the condenser and compressor are resting there waiting to be reattached to the engine once it is installed (this weekend hopefully).

The v6 radiators do not support the ac condenser
No only a v8 radiator had the provisions for the clip. The reason they did this is because the 5.0 fan sticks out 1” more then v6

It is not uncommon for us to use a v6 rad in a v8 truck and vise versa you can simply run the v6 lower metal bracket to hang the condenser, heck I have even fastened the condenser to the radiator
With zip ties. Whatever it takes to make a complete Cooling stack with the parts on hand

Ditto, that V6 condenser lower mounting bracket is the key, it will work for any of the Explorer radiators.

Condenser bracket SOHC V6.jpg

Just look at that nicely painted frame

Well, looks like I have still got a dual core V8 radiator, found it on the metal pile over at dad's house while taking a break from wrenching. I'll pick up a test kit from the auto parts store and make sure it still holds water like it's supposed to.

I think it still worked fine, but the Ranger's fan shroud didn't fit it right and drug on the fan. I swapped it out for the stock radiator and shroud from the same donor as the 4.0L we just took out.

Any radiator that has sat outside I would not use the tranmission cooler. Any water in there will rust it out and in a while you will be mixing water with trans fluid which will kill your trans. Simple solution is to bypass the internal cooler and run dual factory trans coolers

Found this out the hard way more then once

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is such a small trans cooler anyway, it's a good time to upgrade to a bigger external unit.

Back