5.0 Swap is complete! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 Swap is complete!

So Jell! And so inspiring! Thanks for the pics!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Congrats!! I didn't know about this one! I wish I would have documented more earlier to share info from my swap. I didn't have to worry about PATS or the VSS issues as my ST was early 1st year and my donor was a 96. The pics look great!!

I just purchased a 2nd gen v8 version and posted mine for sale. The post for that was # 302 for me. :) :)
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3372099#post3372099

Thanks, I am thoroughly enjoying it and have a set of TM headers and a Baumann trans kit that should be here soon and am planning to start upping the power a bit more. I'd say you were lucky to not have to worry about the PATS and VSS, but I think that was easier than having to deal with the change in fuel system types, lol.

Good luck with the sale and your 2nd Gen truck!

Thank you.

Where did you find the TM headers? Once you have that bottleneck eliminated, you can do so much.

I have used the Baumann shift kits and their TCS system before. Great stuff. They know these transmissions well.

Sounds like you are on your way.

I bought the set of headers that Cobraguy was selling. I'm hoping they're as good as all the hype makes them seem, and that they're not overly leak prone.

Glad to hear more positive about the Baumann parts as well... I remember years ago they seemed to be all the rage, but when I did some digging recently before I ordered my parts I couldn't find much recent talk about them which worried me a bit.

Last time I checked Baumann's site, they were sticking to the older transmissions and maybe that is why you don't hear as much from them these days. I ran into someone a couple of months ago that was using a TCS in a Mustang. He loved it and was shocked that I knew what it was. :) I just don't think they ever sold huge numbers.

I was looking for TM's on and off for some years and always missed the sets coming up for sale used. :) Hope they work out well for you. It's not like we have any other choice out there.

any have any info on step 11? my conversion is running great and is now my daily driver. I would love to have the ABS light turn off because its wired correctly I get error C1102

I sold my truck about a year ago and passed along all the detailed notes I had on the swap to the new owner, sorry.

I took my abs light bulb out of the cluster on mine, I didn't care if it worked anyway but didn't like the light on the dash. Funny thing was the used car dealer took the check engine light bulb out so it wasn't on when I bought my truck. I bought the abs bulb in for the cel, all good.

I don’t mind pulling the bulb but I feel like the sensor only has three wires. I’m just not 100% where and what pins I need to trace them back too. Seems like an easy fix compared to the digital hvac install. Lol

I do 5.0 conversions :)
I am in the north part of Idaho almost to Canada

The 5.0 parts done. I just want to figure out the abs light. Lol. Only other gremlin I have is the 4406. It will shift into 4hi when in park. If in gear it grinds. Won’t go into 4lo.

Having had several inquiries recently about my swap I was just going back through some pics I had on my computer and forgot that I had scanned in a couple of pages of notes that I'd made while working on the wiring. I'm not sure how much help they'll be, but here they are.... There are a few notes about the ABS/Speedo wiring on the second page, and if I remember correctly I had to swap the ABS module between the Explorer and Sport Trac in addition to adding the G-force sensor. When I was done, EVERYTHING worked (except I skipped PATS and had it turned off in my custom tune) and I had absolutely no errors or check engine/ABS lights.

Edit - I was thinking about this more on a long drive today and thought of a something I should note for anyone trying to make any sense of my notes... What I did for my swap to extend the ST harness so that it would follow the correct path and reach the motor harness was to find a V8 Explorer at the junkyard and cut the body side of the harness out with about 18" of wire (my donor was in really good shape and I was planning to sell it along with the ST motor so I didn't want to damage anything I didn't have to). I then cut the very end of the ST harness off and soldered the long Explorer pigtail on. The first 2 pages of my notes detail out all 42 pins of the ST harness as to what color they were on the left, and then on the right I made note of anything that didn't match on the Explorer harness, or anything that I had to rewire. Hope it helps!

Attachments

• Sport Trac swap wiring.pdf
    706.3 KB · Views: 221

"The 5.0 parts done. I just want to figure out the abs light. Lol. Only other gremlin I have is the 4406. It will shift into 4hi when in park. If in gear it grinds. Won’t go into 4lo"

ABS light? Pull abs codes, go from there. It is possible to delete the ABS system or get it working properly

4406 will shift from 2wd to 4hi anytime you wish
To get into 4low the truck must be stopped and in Neutral (not park)
This is assuming your 4406 t case linkage is adjusted properly (yes its adjustable at the small bolt on the tailhousing)
)If you are using the E shift 4406, then that is a different problem all together)

Some details about your swap, perhaps your own thread might be very helpful?

I do have my own thread as well. It is a e shift 4406 and the code is for accerlation switch. I’m not home to get the exact number but that is the one and only code.

"The 5.0 parts done. I just want to figure out the abs light. Lol. Only other gremlin I have is the 4406. It will shift into 4hi when in park. If in gear it grinds. Won’t go into 4lo"

ABS light? Pull abs codes, go from there. It is possible to delete the ABS system or get it working properly

4406 will shift from 2wd to 4hi anytime you wish
To get into 4low the truck must be stopped and in Neutral (not park)
This is assuming your 4406 t case linkage is adjusted properly (yes its adjustable at the small bolt on the tailhousing)
)If you are using the E shift 4406, then that is a different problem all together)

Some details about your swap, perhaps your own thread might be very helpful?
Interesting, I didn't realize there was an adjustment on the 4406 setup. Will have to check that out soon on my Ranger.

I made an edit to my post above with a little explanation that will hopefully help out anyone trying to figure out my notes.

Back