5.0 swap- really worth the trouble? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 swap- really worth the trouble?

Eric did the V8 swap into his Sport...And he loves it. But he did a lot more then just the swap. Headers, Cam...He went all out...I think he did it in a week or a weekend I would have to ask him, I forgot...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Eric did the V8 swap into his Sport...And he loves it. But he did a lot more then just the swap. Headers, Cam...He went all out...I think he did it in a week or a weekend I would have to ask him, I forgot...

Here is a link to updated pictures of Eric's V8 Sport. He has kept it extremely clean.
BTW for the link to work, pull out the decimal points before the ".com"

i plan on doing this in my 96 just because of the POS weak V6 trans. My explorer will be reitred as a DD and race some of the desert racing series'. So a 5.0 with a C4 is my choice of drivetrain.

Here is a link to updated pictures of Eric's V8 Sport. He has kept it extremely clean.
BTW for the link to work, pull out the decimal points before the ".com"

Where'd it go?

Maybe I'll just buy a 5.0 Fox body....and leave the motor in the car. ;)

Vroom vroom.

Where'd it go?

Blee pulled the link, this website does not allow competition. Yet the tiny ********* website allows any and all links to anything, which makes it much more friendly to all. It was about five pictures of Eric's V8 Sport and engine bay, and one that I posted showing my new kitten Suda, and his clean valve cover etc. Regards,

Attachments

• Suda PC.JPG
    Suda PC.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 248

Yep, no pics for you guys I guess. Not sure what link Don posted, but I have a good guess.

The swap is worth it if you are really attached to your explorer and want one with a V8. Financially, it is a dumb decision, but when you are keeping your truck for life like me, it wasn't such a bad thing to do. The swap took me a week to do, at a relaxed pace, and I wasn't working every day. I took a lot of extra time to make sure everything was cleaned and did some undercoating while the trans and motor were out, along with some minor rust repair.

Edit: Don, that pic was taken before I cleaned up the engine bay for the recent show. It got a bit dirty when I was dealing with the egr tube and header gasket junk.

Yep, no pics for you guys I guess. Not sure what link Don posted, but I have a good guess.

The swap is worth it if you are really attached to your explorer and want one with a V8. Financially, it is a dumb decision, but when you are keeping your truck for life like me, it wasn't such a bad thing to do. The swap took me a week to do, at a relaxed pace, and I wasn't working every day. I took a lot of extra time to make sure everything was cleaned and did some undercoating while the trans and motor were out, along with some minor rust repair.

Edit: Don, that pic was taken before I cleaned up the engine bay for the recent show. It got a bit dirty when I was dealing with the egr tube and header gasket junk.

WooT Hi Eric ;)

I definately plan on a very long relationship with my Ex. Right now I think I'll take care of my almost non-existent rockers. The previously mentioned donor truck I had available was a 96 so it would be far more trouble than its worth. If it was a 98........well, then it may have been a different story. There's always next winter...

The total price does depend on the donor cost and the extra parts needed to complete it, or that have to be changed. The 96 parts get you most of what is needed, the 98+ trans is about $150 better in new parts value. Jamie may know if the 96 engine bay harness is identical to a 98 or how little it is different. The 98 external EGR parts amount to the EGR pipe/valve, headers, DPFE sensor, and TB elbow. Those are minor parts that really just affect swap time, not price.

Do you guys know how compatable the 1st gen wiring harness is with a 5.0

You have to be exsteamly(sp) careful with laws on engine swaps. Check into your city laws first...Like here it has to be the same year or newer. Has to come from the same truck...1998 Explorer v6 needs to have a 1998 or newer v8 from and Explorer, just check the laws its different every where...

Ditto, and how they check it also matters. If they require a VIN number on a receipt, you will need that. If it's just that the parts are the right years etc, that is easy.

Blee pulled the link, this website does not allow competition. Yet the tiny ********* website allows any and all links to anything, which makes it much more friendly to all. It was about five pictures of Eric's V8 Sport and engine bay, and one that I posted showing my new kitten Suda, and his clean valve cover etc. Regards,

Yeah I pulled it cause there is a feud/hatred towards *********. They basically stole some ideas from Rick. Like the Elite Explorer membership. Basically that site was created after one of the creators was banned from here.

Ditto, and how they check it also matters. If they require a VIN number on a receipt, you will need that. If it's just that the parts are the right years etc, that is easy.

Like here, you do the swap and then take it to the Referee Sation they go over EVERYTHING to make sure it matches stock Specs...Then they A-OK it and make the vin number and everything match or something...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That may be all true, but Rob the sole operator is a gentleman and has spread zero bad blood, no details of any kind have come out. I can understand that kind of animosity much more than general competition, this site is massive and almost a monopoly. It's nice to share ideas, and I haven't every dealt with any online sites for pictures/videos etc. All of my pictures are in these sites from my PC. Regards,

Back