• Register Today It's free!

5.0 V-8 Question

ExDodgeOwner

Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
Shopping for one
Hello. I'm new to this web site and i'm in the market for an explorer. Is the 5.0 V-8 that is in the late 90's explorers and mountaineers the same one that used to be in mustangs and pre 97 F-150's?? And is the only drive train option available with a V-8 AWD?? I'd prefer selectable 4-wheel drive if possible with a V-8. Sorry if any of these questions are dumb, i really don't know much about fords yet. Thanks, Tim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Some v8s are 2wd, and some are awd, the awd ones there's no control for anything, and the the system takes over nytime it feels lippage.the v8 has a 302 and is a 5.0, eactly the same as the pre 97 mustangs. people even do the 5.0 swap with mustang motors, crown vic motors, and others. the 5.0 is supposedly the most popular motor that ford has made. hope that helps. BTW the v8 has 210-215 hp in the X

Welcome to the site Tim. The 5.0 does not come with selectable 4x4. It's 2WD or fulltime AWD. The 2002+ 4door explorer with the 4.6V8 has the 4x4 option. And yes, the 5.0 is the same as F-150/Mustang more or less.

No, the 5.0 used in late model Explorers is not the same 5.0 H.O. motor that was used in the 89-95 Mustangs (the Mustang was fitted with the 4.6 V8 modular motor in 96). They both use the same 302 block, yes, but there are quite a few differences. The Ex 5.0 has direct electronic ignition, meaning no distributor, unlike the Mustang 5.0, which has a distributor. The heads, intake, and pistons are also different, as well as the camshaft. Not a bad motor by any means, but it is different than the Mustang motor in a number of ways.

The Dogman is right. the "5.0 P" motor in the Explorer is actually better than the last year it was in a Mustang (95).....

it is better stock, but it is also a lot harder to find parts for.

Why didn't they just use the then new 4.6 liter V-8?? I always thought the basic 302 engine type was gone after 96 but i guess not. It is a decent engine, though?? I heard the early to mid 1990's 302's tended to burn oil at a fairly early age and were trouble prone.

I think the reason the 4.6 liter wasn't used in 96-01 because it doesn't fit. The block is different or something. As far as the 5.0 engine in explorers and mustangs, it's been out for the longest time. So parts and modifications are easier. There are a few members on this board with the 5.0 in the explorers with over 100,000 miles been happy with them. No problems with transmissions from what I seen on here, compared to the 4.0 OHC and the 4.0 SOHC in explorers.

I have the 5.0....138,000 miles and on original tranny. It still runs beautiful and I've had no major problems yet :)

So, the 5 speed auto in the later V-6's has some problems??

Originally posted by DOGMAN
No, the 5.0 used in late model Explorers is not the same 5.0 H.O. motor that was used in the 89-95 Mustangs (the Mustang was fitted with the 4.6 V8 modular motor in 96). They both use the same 302 block, yes, but there are quite a few differences. The Ex 5.0 has direct electronic ignition, meaning no distributor, unlike the Mustang 5.0, which has a distributor. The heads, intake, and pistons are also different, as well as the camshaft. Not a bad motor by any means, but it is different than the Mustang motor in a number of ways.

well ill be darned i thought they were similar, oh well, thanks for correcting that!

I have 80K on my 5.0 V8 AWD, I'm totally happy with the engine... I wish I had 4Lo, and I'm working ond doing a swap to fix that problem, but other than that I totally love the truck...

Some things to think about with late model explorers thought either V6 or V8 if you want to lift it, its much easier to do with a 98+, 95-97 can be done but its much more work.

If the swap for selectable 4 wheel drive in mine and a few of the others members works we'll be sure to tell you how it was done... Hope that info helps...

Originally posted by ExDodgeOwner
So, the 5 speed auto in the later V-6's has some problems??

Not as far as I know, or at least nowhere near as much as the A4LD 4spd. Supposedly Ford strengthened the tranny internals with the 5spd........

yeah, i beat on my tranny pretty bad and its as good as new in the mid 90,000s same with the 5.0

Any of you all clean and detail your 5.0 V-8 engine in your Explorer? Thinking about doing mine but am concerned about the electronics. Any input is appreciated. Thanks Mike

Take it to the car wash and spray away, I've done it a few times but the mud is so caked on in there its crazy... I've never had any problems doing it this way with most of my cars...

You may want to get a few more opinions on this than just mine though...

Heath, I have a 1997 Explorer V8 in my 1999 Ranger. I am using the AWD T-case as a filler, until I can get a selectable 2/4hi/4lo case in. Let me know what you are planning.

I have bought an Expedition 4406 case, but I am not sure it wil work. It looks as though the front drive shaft will interfere with the driver side torsion bar mount. I will let you know when I get a chance to trial fit the beast.

If you have a better plan, let me know I want to get this thing done!

THANKS!

There will be a write up shortly from StadX2, he'll be the first person that I know of that will be getting it done... He's using a 4405 (i think) and an adaptor from Advanced Adaptors... There is always the Atlas II route, if you can spare the $2500 and don't mind cutting a hole in your floor...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is the 4405 the stock Ranger/Explorer 4.0L case? If so, I am not going to go that route. I have heard it will not handle the power of the 5.0, especially a modified V8. I just don't want to spend $600-700 on the adaptor to find out the warnings were correct!

Thanks!

Back