5.0 with low oil - damage done?

V8BoatBuilder

Transplanted Bostonian
Reaction score
City, State
East Brunswick, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Mountaineer V8 4x4
I'm going to be purchasing a 1997 Mountaineer with 5.0 V8 and 107k mi.

When going over it, i found that the oil was down about 2.5 quarts. The engine is very strong, and very smoth. WHat kinds of problems could have resulted from it running low on oil at this high a milage?

Also, on the auto transmissio's dipstick (4r70w), how should readings be taken?

Thanks,
Aaron

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does the motor make any unusal noises?Does it leak any oil?

The motor seems OK to me - no strange noises, I had it up to 4000 rpm. I can't find any leaks either, the only oil residue under the truck is around the bottom of the torque converter bellhousing, and some near the T-case.

-Aaron

Do you get any oil smoke at startup?

It had some white smoke at startup, but nothing more than you'd find on any car in 40 degree Boston weather. The exhaust smelled OK, no apparent trace of coolant or oil.

If someone where to take a reading now (the guy topped it off), the oil level would be OK and it behaves like every other 5.0 that I've seen. I'm more looking for possible "what-ifs," to see if any damage might have been done.

The guy said that the Mountaineer has been in his lot "for a few months".....

-Aaron

Take it to a certified mechanic, one you trust. I bought a 99 X Limited 5.0 last month and that's what I did. Even then, you can't be totally sure because it is used. We take our chances buying used. But, at least try to cover all the bases and have a mechanic look at it.

i got a 302 ( 5.0L) in a f-150, one day when i just had it parked and running it started making this rattling noise in the vavle train, i think it was the lifters running out of oil. So i shut it off and pulled the dipstick and no oil was on it!! so i dumped in like 4 litres i think and started in up and the noise went away again! Just shows how tough a ford is. Buts it's a good thing i heard that rattly ticking sound or it might have seized on me.

actually, the Windsor engines are notorious for going long periods of time low on oil, with very little damage. if any damage has occured, it will be in the valvtrain, and it wont be noticable right away.

would you honestly consider buying it now knowing that it was over 2 quarts low? that would make me think "what ELSE has been neglected on this thing?" really, really think about it before you spend your hard-earned money... you could be buying one of those vehicles that someone only "put gas in". if you still want it, have a mechanic check EVERYTHING. and have the dealer give you a very good price, since you are buying a truck off of his lot that was 2.5 quarts low on oil.

however it goes, good luck.:)

I too would question what other maintenance was omitted. A red flag is flying on this one in my opinion.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I bough the truck today, but at a DEEP discount. I had to do some hard core negotiating. It was cheap enough to make it worth my while, since other than the low oil, the truck is in top notch shape, it *seems* like it was maintained. I enjoy a project, and this truck will be a perfect base for all my work. I can purchase a $3,000 345 hp Ford Racing 5.0 and still come out under blue book value! :)

Since it's X-mas eve, I have to wait to get my plates, but I should be going on Friday or Saturday. The Mouantaineer is in the driveway and looks great. The first project is going to be a complete replacement of all fluids and tune-up. :redexp:

Shoot us some pics when you get a chance:D

Originally posted by V8BoatBuilder
Also, on the auto transmission's dipstick (4r70w), how should readings be taken?

Thanks,
Aaron

Glad to hear you got a big discount...I hope it works out well for you:D

As for the tranny, simply check it when running, hot, and in Park.

Back