50 Horsepower For 5 Cents............ | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

50 Horsepower For 5 Cents............

Glad it could help guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I actually used this on my 98 Dodge Ram. Except I did it at the throttle body instead of at the pedal. It works great!

I actually used this on my 98 Dodge Ram. Except I did it at the throttle body instead of at the pedal. It works great!

Great isnt it :)

Good idea.....im deff going out and doing it to my first gen. Major slack in my cable. 271000 miles of stop and go.

I just did this on my 200 while I was laying my FatMat (Dynamat) on the floor, I felt how loose the pedal was (Extra slack) Its truly like night and day!

(About the 4th X ive done it on now with happy results):D

I don't do much flooring or anything, but this seems like it would still pay off in stop and go traffic and wherever else I feel. I'm due for a tune-up in a few weeks, so I'll see if mine is bad enough and do it.

It's a deff notice, real resposive now. I don't have to put the pedel thru the floor just half down now. Deff worth the crick in the neck to get under there and get it done!!!!

I recently did this mod while cleaning my throttle body. Since I could see the throttle plate, I had my wife floor the pedal just to see how far it was opening up. To my surprise, it was only opening up about half-way! So, I took up the slack at the pedal with 2 zip ties and now it opens fully at full throttle and is much more responsive. I don't need to floor it anymore to merge onto the freeway. It is certainly worth checking out. It's easy to do and, while it won't turn your Ex into a tire shredder, the improvement will be noticeable if you have a lot slack in your throttle cable like I did.

Mine must have already been done, my pedal floored and my TB opens right up 100%.

Keep the responses comin!

i understand this is an old thread but im new here and i just tried this out and WOW what a difference my throttle response was real bad..like pedal to the floor i had little pickup.. and i was like well its an old vehicle.. but hell no lol. once i did this my old girl is a beast again xD. thanks explorerforums! and all who helped =)

i understand this is an old thread but im new here and i just tried this out and WOW what a difference my throttle response was real bad..like pedal to the floor i had little pickup.. and i was like well its an old vehicle.. but hell no lol. once i did this my old girl is a beast again xD. thanks explorerforums! and all who helped =)

So glad the mod woke up your explorer a bit. This mod will work on any vehicle with a stretched throttle cable! Thanks for watching! Please subscribe to my youtube channel and check out my other vids!

Hahaha, wow! Now this is something that everyone should know. I havent' done it yet, but I have an hour long commute and that fraction of a inch that I'll be saving when I push down my pedal is gonna be NICE. This is awesome.

I did check "butterfly" after reading this thread, it was nice and horizontal. Thanks for the education.

Thanks for taking the time to look at this thread! Your very welcome :)

Hahaha, wow! Now this is something that everyone should know. I havent' done it yet, but I have an hour long commute and that fraction of a inch that I'll be saving when I push down my pedal is gonna be NICE. This is awesome.

Definitely keep us posted on how the mod works for you!

i never thought of that, i had a similar issue with my ranger, i just replaced the pedal with an older steel one, and bent the steel to take up the slack

My ranger is a 2001 with 81,000 miles and I fit 2 on the throttle cable. Same with this 96 explorer with 86,000 miles.

oh god lol. now i'm going out to check... i have an 01 explorer with 120k on it... that sucker has to have an inch of slack in the cable... the pedal sits half way between the brake and the floor. :(

i haven't floored it yet, but there's not much space to go from 'normal pedal position' to 'floored' haha..

gotta get out to check that.

(bringing baggie of zip ties)

and thanks a TON for more extra-helpful info jlsparky7!!

was worth the 15 cents for two zipties and about 5 minutes of work (most of the time spent getting my fat self into and out of position and snapping off excess length of ties after application.) The actual task itself can easily be done in under 2 minutes once you get in there.

Thanks for posting the vid

So glad a video was posted of this. Everyone was talking about a throttle cable mod and I had no idea what they were talking about lol Doing this mod tomorrow! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can also wind on a coil spring, I did that with a non Explorer car years ago and it also improved the auto kickdown.

Back