• Register Today It's free!

5R55E 3-4 slip... help!

chuckhet

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Sport 4X4
hi guys, i've been beating my head against the wall trying to figure out the problem with my explorer. it's a 97 sport with a 4.0 ohv and a 5R55E trans. i did some searching on here and found some good info but couldn't really find anything that i thought would help. when accelerating and the transmission goes to shift from 3rd to 4th it feels like it shifts to neautral and will rev up. if i let off the gas and give it a second it will shift to 4th and then everything is fine. also after start up when put into gear it will slip for a sec then slam into gear and go then be fine, it will only do this the first time taking off after start up but will slip from 3-4 every time. i have replaced the valve body with a reman and that didn't help, i pulled the trans and had it rebuilt by a trans tech at a local ford dealer and he really didn't find anything when rebuilding it. now after spending weeks and a bunch of $ it's still doing the same thing. I have checked for codes with a factory IDS scan tool and have no codes related to the trans. any ideas and help would be greatly apreaciated. thanks and please help me figure out what's wrong with this thing. :(:dunno:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you replace the EPC Solenoid when you replaced the Valve body? I had the infamous 2-3 slip, replaced the EPC solenoid and it went away instantly. Could be a shift solenoid also. Check this thread out....
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174202
Hopefully somone with more knowlege will check this thread out and will be able to give you better advice.

thanks for the advice but yes, when i replaced the valve body it came with all new solenoids. i'm lost with this thing right now.

try readjusting the bands. Might help. If not then you'd have to drop the pan again and see if the VB gasket is in one piece. I'm wondering if the sensors might caus this - tranny speed sensor and rear ABS sensor.

i'll have to ask the guy who rebuilt it about the band adjustment but i assume he would have taken care of that durring the rebuild. the valve body gasket is new and was replace with the new valve body and again when the trans was rebuilt. i was thinking maybe a sensor but the only thing with that is that i would think it would throw a code and i'm not getting any codes stored.

Try adjusting the bands. After a while these might need adjusting - just check. Also, VB gasket could get blown due to loosening bolts.

Back