Slipping 3-4 issue 5R55E

Dre

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 FPIU
I just went through the entire tranny which was slipping big time while going into O/D. I have replaced broken O/D band and replaced VB gasket. After installing this tranny back in the truck I'am getting a slippage while shifting from 3-4. Not much of slippage but still... what could that be?

Talking about a 98 "X" with 4.0 and 5R55E.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you replace the servos?

nope... I did check the seals though and everything was OK... you think it might be servos? perhaps band out of adjustment? although I did adjust the bands like ten times... trying to fool myself that it's gonna help.

I think that it might be a problem with the servos. They dry out from the heat of the exhaust, and leak. This will cause a problem when the band is applied. It might engage, then slowly disengage causing a shift flare. Make sure that the heat shield is in good condition.

heat shield is missing... looks like I need to order new o-rings for the servos and start from there.

Looks like I'm gonna have to open it again. Oh well, ordering parts.

thanks,

BTW - transmission would slip in all gears if servo was bad - right? why just 3-4 gear?

perhaps I did not lubricate servos properly?

Back