5R55E doesn't shift to 4th and 5th gear. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55E doesn't shift to 4th and 5th gear.

wilsonace

Reaction score
City, State
Las Piedras, Puerto Rico
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XL
Hello everybody. I am new in the forum. My 98 explorer xl 4.0 sohc has a 5r55e trans that was refresh with new clutches and bands 2 yaers ago. The trans has run around 15k miles but now trans doesn't shift in 4th and 5 th gear.
The trans shift well from 1st to 3rd but no shift to 4 th and 5th. No check engine or o/d off lights are on. The problems looks like the transmission is waiting for the signal of a sensor to shift to 4th and 5 th gear. Can some one help me how to diagnostic the probelm?
Thanks
WILSONACE

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the transmissions section. How many miles did you put on since it was rebuilt? Do you know if they rebuilt the valve body when the entire transmission was rebuilt? Have you replaced the fluid & filter in the last 2 years? If so, did you check the valve body bolts to see if they are loose? Start with a band adjustment, and a pressure check on both test ports (main pressure & EPC pressure).

I put 15,000 miles to the trans after rebuilt two years ago. When the trans was rebuilt the bands and clutches were replaced, but i believe that the selenoids not. The fluid and filter were not replaced after rebuilt. Where are placed the test ports to check presurre? How many psi should be the pressure at each port?
You mention adjust the band, but the trans is not slipping. The trans shift from 1st to 3 rd gear very firm, but not shift to 4th and 5th gear. The trans is working like a 3 speed instead of a 5 speed. Is possible that the selenoid that controls the 4th gear is not working?

5R55E specification chart from Transgo.

5R55E_specifications_from_Transgo_.jpg

The Transgo picture says to loosen the OD and Intermediate band adjusters 1.5 turns. The band adjustment thread on this site says 2.0 and 2.5 turns, respectively, for the 5R55E.

Which one is correct?

Back