5r55e slips in drive and reverse but still have manual 1st and 2nd | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5r55e slips in drive and reverse but still have manual 1st and 2nd

markmonty

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer
I recently rebuilt the 5r55e in my wife's 1998 explorer. I did all the mods and have been using this site for addional info. This is a Great site!!! It was shifting fine for a while, but then it started to go into neutral when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. I pulled the pan, replaced the epc, re-checked all the solenoids, re-adjusted the bands, and checked the valvebody gaskets. On the first day it was shifting perfect. When I was driving the 2nd day, it was good until I came to a stop and attempted to take off and it was slipping in drive and reverse. I still have manual 1 and 2. I am a experienced technician but I am really starting to get frustrated with this thing!! I appreciate any help I can get!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! Did you install a shift correction kit? If so, which one? It might be a sticking spool or you might have a slightly warped valve body causing it to bind. Did you ever notice if this problem only occurs at certain temperatures? Did you use a 1/4" drive In/Lb torque wrench on the valve body bolts?

Thanks for the reply. I installed the Trans-go kit. I did use a 1/4" inch pound torque wrench. It would do it most the time before I installed the EPC, after replacing it, it started acting up when warm. Now it slips in drive and reverse, it is partially engaging ll the time. I do have a couple extra valve bodies here. Maybe it's time to drop the pan again. Thanks again!!

This AM I changed out valvebodies, still the same. There is no warpage in either one. Thanks for the help. I am starting to think something failed internally.:mad:

Does anyone have any ideas before I pull this transmission? I have tried everything to the best of my knowledge. Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

Hey, guy sounds like the v-body was not rebuild correctly. You might want to purchase a new or use (if use make sure it was taken-off from a working tranny) they run form $95 to $140 for a used or $250 for a new one @ E-bay (Don’t know if you trust them). But I can hook you up with a buddy of mine here in El Paso, TX for around $75 or so just let me know, ok.
I was having a problem with my ST2001 Tranny back in Dec.2007 had to remove it myself and rebuild the whole thing (it was a nice experience). By the way I was a newbie to this Tranny rebuild stuff, yet my knowledge has expanded, thanks to this forum and other research I have done, by the way my ST is runny smooth and working perfectly.

Hey I also found out about a place down at Arizona that sells tranny (all types) around $950 (rebuild of course) plus the core fees (450). But you’ll get your money back once you return your tranny. Sounds like a deal!!!

Here are some prices:
T-Converter $95
Oil Filter $6
Gasket and seal $65 (all of them)
Servos ($12 Inter-Mid or $8 Overdrive)
Bands $18 Originals $9 Generic
Planet gear $85 (I had to change this one)
Shift Solenoids (al l4) are $27 each
Torque Converter Solenoids @ $55
EPC solenoid $94
V-body gaskets $4 each (u need two)
Clutch plates $4 each you need 14 (3 OD, 5 Inter-Mid, 6 Forward)
Tran-oil $2.97 @ Walmart
Vaseline $2

Then again I can get you the use V-body’s for $75 includes all parts except the gaskets.

Thanks, I suppose I could have sticking valves in both of the valve bodies I used. I did not disassemble them, just cleaned them and did the mods. I have taken a break from it as I was tired of messing with it. I have a 3rd one I may try. I appreciate your offer though. My trans was working perfectly after the rebuild until it started having these symtoms so I tried a different valvebody. So I am not sure it will fix it, but I will try again. This is a great resource (this site). Thanks again for the help

Sure no problem, by the way use brake clearner to clean the V-body it cleans very well. Don't use gas

I just brake cleaned the valve body fully assembled and poured some atf in in. Isn't the fluid circulating through it enough?

I just pulled the valve body and found aluminum shavings or flakes on the seperator plate near the front. I am wondering if the front one-way clutch went out. Would this any make sense with my symptoms?

Shavings are clearly not a good sign, and can cause spools to bind... a complete failure of a one way clutch will result of loss of forawrd or reverse motion, or both. I am guessing that in spite of your good efforts with the VB, you have an internal failure either underway or *done*... most likely underway. I fear my best advice is rebuild time.

That's what I was starting to think. I just wonder what went wrong, I just rebuilt it and was very careful in inspecting everything. I appreciate your respose. I will update once it is pulled. Would I still have manual 1st and 2nd if the front one-way clutch was out? Thanks again!!!

Would I still have manual 1st and 2nd if the front one-way clutch was bad?

Well you could have 1 and probably 2 but APMS would be skyhigh. So your better off replaceing the first band or might as well both. Check servos they might need a change too.

The bands and servos are new. What is APMS? Thanks for the reply.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hahhaha, sorry guys Mr. Bay is right, misspell

Did you upgrade your value body by the way. Maybe you misplace something and about the EPC and the rest of the s-noilds as long the frequency are normal they are good to go.

Reading more on ur post I assume its your planet gear. Its made of alum., metal and copper, google it so you know what I'm talking about

Back