5R55E Stalls engine in Rev and 1st | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55E Stalls engine in Rev and 1st

rglemois

Reaction score
City, State
NE Phila
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT V6 SOHC
Thanks ahead of time.
I've got a 98 V6 SOHC, 5R55E 2WD with 118K on it. Problem developed 2 days ago. When backing up engine bogged down and just about stalled. Shifted to N and engine reved up to 850-1000 RPM (normal range) shifted to D and had no problems. Wrote it off as something to note. Today when I backed out it stalled pretty quick when I went into reverse. Seems like when it builds up pressure it just stalls. Trying to figure out whats going on tried 1st and it also stalled. drive and 2nd are ok. If I have the parking brake on and shift to R it stalls the engine in about 2-4 seconds, in 1st it takes about 8-10 seconds.
I don't know if this matters but putting 240 miles on my car Sunday I got a jump of about 2.5-3 MPG increase. Saturday did a lot of stop/start car on/off driving. Sunday drove 240 straight (120 miles 20 min stop then the rest). I'm planning on a 12K mile cross country trip later this summer.
No Codes/No Check engine light. Don't see/hear any vacuum leaks. Fluid is pink doesn't smell burnt or dark.
Any ideas what it could be.
Bob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Forgot to add it's 2WD. Thanks.

I'm guessing you have a TCC lockup issue.

Drive to work today D and 2nd work no problem. 1st will stall engine out in about 5-10 seconds. Reverse pretty quick (2-3) seconds with brake on. Driving down the highway is no problem. No OD light flashing or anything. At 50 MPH RPM is about 1800 or so (normal) Can switch OD Off and RPM do increase.

Any recomendations for fixing the TCC lockup issue. Did a filter change about 20K miles ago. Pan clean.

The first/reverse servo is easily accessably by dropping the pan. You could remove the servo cover (4 bolts), and take a look. There'll probably be a lot of debris and gunk in the cover bottom. I'd clean it out and look for something obvious, such as a broken O-ring seal, broken spring, galled servo, etc.

The TCC solenoid is the one closest to the engine on the bank of four. It can easily be replaced by simply removing the hold down bracket.

As Glacier suggested, it sounds like the torque converter is not unlocking properly, although these issues usually trigger a code.........?

is that all that I'd have to do? I've dropped the pan and changed out the filter about 20K ago. The engine just stalls out. Not getting a check engine light. Would there be codes stored in the computer for the transmission only with out a check engine light?

Thanks for the response.
I've reviewed post from the past. looks like if I do the work I'll do the boost valve using the sonnax replacemetn, TSB 03-22-10 parts and superior upgrad kit. ? This can all be done with the Trans in place????

Yes, all that work can be done with the trans in place, just by dropping the pan and valve body. The work took me one Sat afternoon, however, my problem wasn't the same as yours. Mine didn't stall in first like yours, so maybe someone can give some more info on that.

I had a delayed reverse shift, and a 2-3 shift flare, which the upgraded separator plate and Superior kit fixed.

change out a solenoid. Life is good. engine doesn't stall in R or 1st. Will give update after a while.

solenoid was 100.00

Great, thanks for the update!

same here except my retaining bracket was broken as well. Was told it was good to replace the epc solenoid as well. no more stalling.

Good job, and thanks for posting your fix.
That was also a good idea to replace the EPC solenoid.

I can't believe it's been over 10 years since the
original postings. Time does indeed fly....

Thank you for sharing the original information.
It was very helpful!

Good job, and thanks for posting your fix.
That was also a good idea to replace the EPC solenoid.

I can't believe it's been over 10 years since the
original postings. Time does indeed fly....

Back