5R55E Transmission Fluid Temperature (TFT) Sensor -- Ford Part Number? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55E Transmission Fluid Temperature (TFT) Sensor -- Ford Part Number?

762mm

Reaction score
City, State
Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT (4x4, SOHC)
Hello,

My O/D OFF light started flashing intermittently on my 5R55E about a month ago. The tranny has been completely rebuilt by a trans shop about 4 years ago (for over $4000) and has had little mileage since. It shifts perfectly whether or not the O/D OFF light is flashing, the fluid level is within range when hot and it is not burnt. In other words, everything points to an electronic gremlin.

In order to shed some light on this, I had a mechanic friend of mine check the trans codes at the shop he works for and it comes back as a single code: TFT sensor voltage high ( P0713 ). In other words, probably a bad TFT sensor.

Since the problem went away for now (no more O/D OFF light flashing, it only did it on two separate occasions so far), I don't believe the fix is of any urgency for the time being. I would like to buy the sensor right away however, as I plan on dropping the pan and changing the fluid & filter anyway this summer. The thing is, I cannot find the 5R55E TFT sensor part number (Ford part #) anywhere on the internet.

Can someone please help me and provide the actual TFT sensor part number from Motorcraft, if available? Thanks in advance...

:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update: There's been no more incidents with the O/D OFF light flashing for over 2 weeks now and no apparent tranny problems are present. I did change the battery in the truck lately though, as the previous one died on me and wouldn't charge. When I disconnected the terminals, I found out that the negative terminal was severely corroded with some sort of white dust (acid leak?).

Anyway, I got the new battery in and things have settled down, but I don't know if it was the battery's fault or a defective sensor that just happens not to be acting up in the warmer weather.

Still, if anyone has the TFT sensor part number for a 5R55E, that would be tremendously appreciated. Thanks!

:)

It comes with the internal wire harness, and is part of it. Pretty sure of that.

Hello,

My O/D OFF light started flashing intermittently on my 5R55E about a month ago. The tranny has been completely rebuilt by a trans shop about 4 years ago (for over $4000) and has had little mileage since. It shifts perfectly whether or not the O/D OFF light is flashing, the fluid level is within range when hot and it is not burnt. In other words, everything points to an electronic gremlin.

In order to shed some light on this, I had a mechanic friend of mine check the trans codes at the shop he works for and it comes back as a single code: TFT sensor voltage high ( P0713 ). In other words, probably a bad TFT sensor.

Since the problem went away for now (no more O/D OFF light flashing, it only did it on two separate occasions so far), I don't believe the fix is of any urgency for the time being. I would like to buy the sensor right away however, as I plan on dropping the pan and changing the fluid & filter anyway this summer. The thing is, I cannot find the 5R55E TFT sensor part number (Ford part #) anywhere on the internet.

Can someone please help me and provide the actual TFT sensor part number from Motorcraft, if available? Thanks in advance...

:(
It is part of the internal wiring harness.

20230407_100855.jpg

Back