• Register Today It's free!

5R55E Upgrade

gdyson

Reaction score
City, State
Cold SPring KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
I have a 2000 Ranger, 2wd, 4.0 OHV, w/5R55E transmission and 265,000 miles.
It's used as a daily driver and is mainly driven on the highway.

I want to significantly upgrade the transmission mainly because of the flaring in both 1-2 and 2-3 shifts and the early engagement of 4th and 5th gear.

The best way for me to upgrade my transmission is to buy an upgraded unit including converter and return mine as a core.

Anyone know a shop that is familiar with the 5R55E and will build an upgraded unit and then take a core back?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

with 265k, it would definitely be worth a rebuild. But with some basic knowledge of mechanics, this site, a few manuals, and the will power, you could rebuild it yourself and add some upgrades to make that thing shift like it should.

alternately if the tranny was not abused, and with 265k I'm sure it wasn't. You could probably fix the flair issues without even pulling it apart. I am by no means an expert, but generally the flair is caused by things that are not related to "hard parts"

Things like
1) EPC solenoid, at 265k definitely dead
2) burned/old ATF, if never changed it's fried
3) Band adjustment, should be adjusted frequently like every 25k
4) blown valve body gasket, when you change the fluid check this

unless you really want to replace your tranny, it's always good to start with the small things, if you want to keep this truck for a long time then by all means have at it, you've got one of the longest lasting engines on the planet (baring diesels)

Welcome to Explorer Forum!

Welcome to this forum! You might want to get a shift kit, and upgrade the valve body before rebuilding everything. Read the sticky thread in the transmission section called the 5R55E valve body rebuild diary by Glacier991.

Welcome to this forum! You might want to get a shift kit, and upgrade the valve body before rebuilding everything. Read the sticky thread in the transmission section called the 5R55E valve body rebuild diary by Glacier991.
I know this is a old tread but what is a shift kit? Also how do i upgrade the valve body on my 5R55E, all the ones i can find are just re-manufacture ones.

CVB (Central Valve Bodies) has rebuilt valve bodies with the TSBs and Sonnax Mods complete.
But I agree, even with proper maintenance and an "Easy" life, 250+K is a bit much.
If there is towing involved, look for HD bands and clutches too. (Red Eagle, etc.)
There are even a couple places that can make a torque converter too - tighter (low stall) for towing and increase the torque multiplication, etc.
I have a 180+K trans that is headed down this road...

Back