5R55S P0775 issue - lesson learned, damage done? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55S P0775 issue - lesson learned, damage done?

sleseman

Reaction score
City, State
International Falls
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT
We pulled into the driveway one day and the O/D light started flashing. The wife was driving, heater and music was going so I didn't notice if there were any shift issues on the way home. I took it out for a drive and noticed a shift flare from 1 to 2 and then the OD light would start flashing. I took it out on the highway and it also would not go into OD. I pulled a P0775 code from it.

We are already running on a reman tranny only a few years old and not that many miles. I researched the issue and the main thing I came up with was the solenoid. Maybe the re-manufactured tranny has the original solenoid and it finally gave out. I dropped the pan swapped it and the filter out and when it was all back together there was no change. The bottom of the pan was clean.

Additional research started pointing to the OD servo. I wanted to pull the OD servo first before I picked up the by AJ1E solution. I'm messing around trying to get that snap ring out and see that I need to loosen the OD band adjustment a couple of turns. I go to loosen the nut and it's already loose, like hand tightened loose. I looked at how to do the band adjustment and ended up turning that screw in quite a few times. Once adjusted I took it out for a spin and the shift flare was gone and it now goes into OD. No shift issues at all.

I'm not sure how long that band adjustment nut could have been loose. Could there have been any damage?
The old servo did smell a little burnt.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We pulled into the driveway one day and the O/D light started flashing. The wife was driving, heater and music was going so I didn't notice if there were any shift issues on the way home. I took it out for a drive and noticed a shift flare from 1 to 2 and then the OD light would start flashing. I took it out on the highway and it also would not go into OD. I pulled a P0775 code from it.

We are already running on a reman tranny only a few years old and not that many miles. I researched the issue and the main thing I came up with was the solenoid. Maybe the re-manufactured tranny has the original solenoid and it finally gave out. I dropped the pan swapped it and the filter out and when it was all back together there was no change. The bottom of the pan was clean.

Additional research started pointing to the OD servo. I wanted to pull the OD servo first before I picked up the by AJ1E solution. I'm messing around trying to get that snap ring out and see that I need to loosen the OD band adjustment a couple of turns. I go to loosen the nut and it's already loose, like hand tightened loose. I looked at how to do the band adjustment and ended up turning that screw in quite a few times. Once adjusted I took it out for a spin and the shift flare was gone and it now goes into OD. No shift issues at all.

I'm not sure how long that band adjustment nut could have been loose. Could there have been any damage?

Thanks
@sleseman

Locknuts can loosen up. If that's all that happened, worst is the band slipped a lot while shifting: nice smooth shifts! If it seems to be working normally, leave it alone. imp

The band might be loose because the material on the band is a little worn so there's slack. It's like brake pads. They wear down, and you have to step harder on the brake pedal since the calipers have to travel more to apply the pads.

Thanks
Hey I am having the same issue but I am having a hard time finding any info on where the band adjustment screws are. I would really like to try this before anything elseis there any way you could describe to me which ones they are or possibly send a picture? thank you so much

It should look something like this from the drivers side. Look for the screws with the square ends. My issue was with the od band adjustment. There was no way i was getting a torque wrench up there without dropping the driveshaft. I turned the adjustment screw in as far as i could by hand and then backed it off 2 turns. It's been fine so far. I believe the nut was 19mm. I don't recall what fit on the square end of the screw.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-03-10-08-23-56_kindlephoto-419333098.png
    Screenshot_2020-03-10-08-23-56_kindlephoto-419333098.png
    547.7 KB · Views: 110

It should look something like this from the drivers side. Look for the screws with the square ends. My issue was with the od band adjustment. There was no way i was getting a torque wrench up there without dropping the driveshaft. I turned the adjustment screw in as far as i could by hand and then backed it off 2 turns. It's been fine so far. I believe the nut was 19mm. I don't recall what fit on the square end of the screw.
Thanks. I tried figuring it out last night but couldn't fit anything up there . I'll take your advice on the driveshaft.

Just an update. Since the initial fix the issue came back again. I adjusted the OD band screw almost all the way in now and it is shifting fine again. It seems since that band adjustment screw was loose for who know how long the OD band has worn excessively. Hopefully this last adjustment gets us another month or 2 out of it.

Back