5r55s transmission upgrade or swap options | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5r55s transmission upgrade or swap options

What kind of power at the crank is your explorer putting out? I have been told 400 hp is about all I could get my 5r55s to handle. I am wanting to put about 500 at the crank with a stroked4.6 (281) to 5.1 (301) 375-450hp at the crank. I want to ruin some mustangs Camaros and chargers nights on cruise night.

Here's the fender badge you need to put on your truck, after installing the engine and trans to make it true; Ford Taurus SHO V6 DOHC Side Emblems | eBay
That is for a 90's Taurus SHO, but the badge is accurate for the late V6 Ford engines. The 3.5 and other TT V6's will do much better than the old 4.6 platform engine/trans combos. The NA 3.5 or 3.7 should go in without huge swap issues, but it would take some time to work out the mounts and wiring, and gearing etc. The great upside is the transmissions, the six speeds can handle any power you aim for without much trouble, they have no bands, and are taking crazy power now in lots of Mustangs etc.

The 3rd gen and newer Explorers should be big enough for the late(2017+, or at least 2012) V6 engines, the turbo locations being all unknown. I'm aiming for a NA 3.7 in my spare 2nd gen.

24V DOHC fender badge emblem.jpg

What kind of power at the crank is your explorer putting out? I have been told 400 hp is about all I could get my 5r55s to handle. I am wanting to put about 500 at the crank with a stroked4.6 (281) to 5.1 (301) 375-450hp at the crank. I want to ruin some mustangs Camaros and chargers nights on cruise night.
400 HP????? My god they seem bearly able to handle the stock 4.0 V6 output, sounds like drag racing numbers like each engine is exspected to lasts 5 seconds.

And no one offered any other transmission swaps like a 4r70W. Which why I read this.

Rich

Back