5r55w Band Adjustment Opinions

toy720

Reaction score
City, State
fort worth tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Exp 4x4 5r55w 4.0l
Hey All,

I was doing some research and saw a thread where this trans builder will adjust the bands at 120in lbs in then 1 turn out instead of 2? He does this to correct the 2-3 flare or the lazy 2-3 shift. I just rebuilt my 5r55w and shifts good has servo bore update etc but still have a lazy 2-3 I was thinking I might readjust and go 1 to 1 1/2 out instead of 2 wanted to get opinions from others if they may have done this I am worried that the bands will wear to quickly and glaze the drums.......

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yea Got that Was really wanting to know if anyone has done it and had any issues I look at the cycles and the OD band is applied in 2nd then releases and inyermediate applies for 3rd and wondering if the delay is that maybe when od releases it gives to much slack before intermediate applies? I dont know just a therory and have only found one comment that says they do the one turn back I might do a turn and half and report back what happens.

I was thinking about that but I do have the bores updated with the sleeves etc so i should be good there. I did get a different VB when I rebuilt ti and was going to use the old seperator plate since the old one looked as it had been updated someof the circuit feeds were drilled bigger and few other mods on the seperator plate. I took both seperator plates to the trans shop and asked them about using old seperator plate(that had the updated drilled holes) and they said you cannot interchange seperator plates? I did not think this sounded right but did not want to risk it I still have the old plate and maybe I might swap them to see what happens.

Okay did the Band Adjustment but went with 1 1/2 turns out and does seem to make a difference as far as helping the 2-3 flare the RPMS still raised a hair but not as much before adjustment So I am going to leave it at 1 1/2 turns I believe only 1 turn out would be to tight but cannot confirm this since I went to 1 1/2 out. I cannot say that this will fix anybodys 2-3 flare but did make mine alot better and almost unnoticable have to be waiting for it to feel it or see it on the Rpm GAUGE. This was a complete rebuilt trans with servo bores sleeved etc. This may help others but also may not work for you either if you have other issues. Also remember all Manuals recommend 2 turns out REPEAT 2 turns out I adjusted 1 1/2 after finding info on a builder that claims he does only 1 turn if you make these adjustments I recommend no less than 1 1/2 turns out.

hey ya, just wondering how the transmission is going?

Back