Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Texarkana AR/TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 SAS sport
94 A4LD... im puzzled.

A few days ago, i did a proper band adjust which cured my 1-2 shift flare. Obviously my problem was a loose intermediate band. The truck drove like a brand new one for one day. Day two 1-2 shift flare is back. I let the truck cool down and did a second band adjustment.

Now, the intermediate band adjuster bolt will go all the way inside the locknut without ever getting tight. There is some tension on the bolt, but it never gets remotely close to 180in/lbs before dissapearing.

Is the band now broken? If so, how is the thing still driveable? I can make it shift from 1st to 2nd by running up sharply to 3000rpms, back out of the throttle, and it will shift.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yea, thats what i was afraid of. Im doing a pan drop this afternoon.

I know this is going to sound like a bad idea, but im broke so hear me out- :p:

How stupid would it be to tear into this thing and replace the bands without doing a rebuild? I now know the tranny is good other than the band issue. I need to buy some time... i dont expect the thing to last forever by simply throwing new bands in it.

Im guessing ill have to do a complete tear down to get to them? Any other little/cheap parts to replace while im in it?

Well, I'm doing essentially the same thing, except I'm going a little deeper, I'm replacing thrust washers and such while I'm in there, and I'm glad I'm doing it. Some of them needed replacement.

It should work for at least a while like that. Like I'm doing, at least go for the thrust washers while you're in there. and obviously all the seals you encounter. Maybe frictions and steels in the clutch packs as well. You could do a shift kit as well, it will help prolong failure. I'm not doing much more than those things, and I'll be in it for under $300. If it gets me a little while like that, I'll be happy.

Dropped the pan and it seems as though the intermediate band has disappeared. The adjuster bolt runs in the side of the tranny housing and is just sitting there by itself. Sad really, as this thing has been well taken care of and is spotless on the inside.

Question- Can i drop the valve body and get a better view?

Eh, i think ill just button it back up. A friend has a spare tranny for free... "broke" but of unkown issues. I may get it and try a rebuild and swap the two.

Just go for the m50d :)
If i could find one around here i would in a heartbeat. 5spd 4x4 Explorers in my region are in isle 5- right next to the golden hen's teeth. :(

I think im gonna take this bum free tranny and tear into it. That will at least give me some idea if im capable of building one or not. If i screw it up who cares... it was free. The main problem is with the slowdown at work and my wife layed off i have all time/no money. :p:

The band is only supposed to be 120 In/Lbs. Maybe it broke a day later after it was over tightened? These transmissions require a full rebuild if you want them to last (servos, pistons, possible hard parts, clutch plates, etc).

The band is only supposed to be 120 In/Lbs. Maybe it broke a day later after it was over tightened? These transmissions require a full rebuild if you want them to last (servos, pistons, possible hard parts, clutch plates, etc).
Typing error, i meant 120 not 180... i am number lysdexic at times. :D

I know i need a full rebuild, i WANT to do a full rebuild, but i may be forced to half@ss it to get through the winter.

Back