• Register Today It's free!

5R55W Damage

Dunwood

Reaction score
City, State
South Bay, Los Angeles County
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 EB
On another thread, I asked for opinions and help to determine what if anything could be done with our 5R55W transmission. The fluid was regularly changed and other than the normal (crappy) Ford factory soft shifting, it worked OK.

It suddenly started making lots of noise and wasn't driven much more than a few miles after that.

I had it towed into a reputable shop and $3,000 later have a much better running transmission.

One of the Torrington bearings let go and basically exploded inside, tearing up most of the hard parts.

I've attached hosted images:
The clutch pack (I think its a clutch pack, I'm not a rebuilder) was in surprisingly good shape:
Fordd5r55W.jpg

The bands appear to have plenty of life left (I think they are the bands)
Fordc5r55W.jpg

The planetary gears are completely tore up, you can see where the Torrington bearing let go, released all its nasty needle bearings, and took out the teeth:
Fordb5r55W.jpg

Another large gear that had to be replaced:
Forda5r55W.jpg

A rebuilt torque converter was installed, most of the hard parts replaced with new, new servo's, and a new solenoid block were all replaced. All new bands and clutch material was replaced. The case was sent out to have the bronze servo sleeves drilled and installed. A Transgo shift kit was installed.

The shifts are now faster and a bit more firm.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That was supposed to have been done. Although I didn't sit there and watch him do it.

Boy. That did come apart didn't it. I wonder why? That's not usual for that to happen like that.

for that much dough you could a swapped in a v8 and had much better trany choices.

Back