5R55W Problems

Lifted95X

The Xplorer U Luv to H8
Reaction score
City, State
EASTPOINTE, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 4.6 Mounty
Its been a long time since I have posted here, but everyone says you come back to your roots sometime.
Since I sold the 95, I had recently picked up an 03 Mountaineer v8.

Now....on to the mess
I just had a nightmare of a tranny rebuild. I have definitely learned what shop NOT to use. Anyways...on top of the major exhaust leak I have that makes it sound like a mini-mustang, I have noticed something else. Yesterday the tranny seemed to be working just great. This morning, it didnt want to move once shifted into gear for about 20 seconds. I also noticed that when in gear, at a complete stop, it does not roll. I have to give it a little gas, then it jumps. Again...yesterday...it did not exhibit any of these issues.
Could this be a fluid issue, low fluid, wrong fluid??? I am at wits end on this one and really want to get this nailed down. Any help is appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It might be a little low on fluid, but if you just had a shop rebuild it, don't touch anything without going back to them. They could say that you broke something, and they wouldn't honor the warranty.

Actually this shop just installed the rebuilt transmission. I bought the rebuilt tranny elsewhere.

In this case, I guess you could check the fluid level, and if it's low, you could blame the shop that installed it or just add more on your own. Could you update your vehicle information in your profile?

Done. Does that sound typical of a low fluid situation?

Back