5R55W Tranny Woes.. Please Help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55W Tranny Woes.. Please Help

MRStace84

Reaction score
2003 Ford Exploreer 4x4 5R55W Auto Tranny.

From driving the car it does not shift into 2nd or 5th gear. The O/D light flashes, and the check engine light comes on. Gives Code P0775, which indicates a problem with Solenoid 2.

This weekend I changed the Shift Solenoid Pack with a brand new one from Ford, and the exact same problems still exist. It's as if I hadn't done anything to the car.

I have read somewhere that 2nd and 5th gears share a band in the tranny, could the the problem.?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I suspect that the band broke (which is a common problem on this transmission). Try to do a band adjustment. If you can't tighten the band to 120 In/Lbs, then the band has to be replaced. The transmission has to be thoroughly cleaned out to prevent fragments from causing clogs.

2nd and 5th share the OD band. BB is on to something when he suggests seeing if that band is intact. YET.... a clear code of P0775 is checking a block solenoid voltage and reporting out of spec.... Do you still get that code ? A broken band CAN throw that as an indirect result of the solenoid movement, but one suspects the block or wiring first off.

Let us know what you find. BTW what was the FORD P/N on your new block?

I have been reading up on how to do the band andjustment. One question, if the band is broke, what will happen. Will the adjustment screw turn all the way in? Or does it bottom out or something?

Thanks!

Ok, I was able to adjust my O/D band. In fact after I torqued it and then backed it off 2 turns, I don’t believe it was out of specifications. So, I guess the good news is that I don’t believe my O/D band is broken.

I also checked my ohms between the PCM (Connector 175B, I believe) and fuse 37. I got approximately 29 ohms for all of the pressure and shift solenoids, so based on that I don’t believe I have a broken wires, or bad connection, between the PCM, and the solenoid body.

I did notice the following. I can start out driving the car. The O/D light will be off. I kept accelerating once I reach 30mph, the O/D will start flashing, because the car will have not shifted into 2nd gear.

However, if I accelerate to 25mph, and release the gas, the car will shift into 2nd, then I put my put back on the gas, and keep accleration and it will shift into 3rd and 4th normally.

This reminds me of the time I had a bad vacuum modulator on a C-6. I could do the same thing, let off the gas and it would shift.

But to my knowledge these don’t have vacuum modulators, they are all electronic, so I am really confused.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Did you clear the code when you replaced the solenoid block? Did you compare the resistance of the solenoids of both blocks? Did you torque the bolts to their proper specifications when replacing the block? Did you replace the valve body gaskets?

I did clear the codes. No I didn't torque them to spec, or replace any gaskets. Which gaskets should I have replaced? Thanks.

The valve body gaskets are bonded to the separator plates. Torque the bolts with an In/LB torque wrench. Everything is hydraulically controlled, so any laekage will affect the way it functions. If you are having the same problem with a new solenoid block as thew old one, then it's probably related to the gaskets leaking or an internal fault in the valve body.

From what I have been reading I am suspecting a problem in the valve body, as the solenoid swap had zero effect on the problem. Would it be best to try to swap the entire valve body?

I didn't pull the valve body out, so I don't know if the gasket is blown on top of it. (I am assuming there is a separator plate on top). When I pulled the solenoid body out, There didn't appear to be any blown gaskets there.

How about the Overdrive Servo on the side of the tranny? I have read these can go bad about 70,000 miles, this car has 85K on it.

Ok, I am kind of at a cross road as what do try to do with this vehicle next. The problems with it are when it tries to upshift into 2nd or 5th gear. I have never had a problem with it downshifting.

I can turn Overdrive off, and when accelerating release the gas and it will shift into second. I drove the car for about 20 miles yesterday doing this and the O/D light never did start flashing or the PCM throw a code. However, if I keep accelerating, it will not shift into second, and around 30mph, the O/D light will start flashing.

Manual first gear does have holdback.

The solenoid pack has been replaced, and well as new fluid and filter. O/D band has been adjusted, so I know it is not broken.

It appears that is it a valve body problem, or the O/D servo is bad. Which one do you all think that it is? I am thinking if the O/D servo was bad that it would not go into 2nd gear at all?

If the valve body is the problem, what all should be replaced? the entire valve body and separator plate?

I am needing some advice and logic as to which of these is most likely the problem.

As a recap, the original symptoms of the car is that it will not upshift into 2nd or 5th gear. When the tranny fails to shift into these gears the PCM will have an error code of P0775, However, as I mentioned above, I have found that if I release the gas pedal at about 20mph the car will shift into second, and no error codes.

Thanks for all your help.

See my response in your other thread. Use one thread or the other please.. maybe I should merge these threads....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back