5th gen explorers

Digitalgp

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Hudson valley
Year, Model & Trim Level
‘15 XLT
Hello, some of you may or may not know me as I mainly hung around the 2006-2010 section, but I am unfortunately having to move on from my 2007 Explorer Limited.

With that said I do have an oppertunity to purchase a 2012 Explorer xlt at a great price. It’s just a basic almost bare bones one. Test drove it already. There is a knocking noise coming from the passenger side front. Being told it’s some kind of bushing it needs & it will need tires probably towards the end of winter. Other than that drives solid and appears almost like new. Would just take some getting used to.

I am all too familiar with the issues that plague the pre-gen, is there anything I should be aware about on these?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you Peter. The first post was good info, but post 24 was more what I was looking for. I have heard of the exhaust fumes issue on these. I didn’t notice any on this particular one I drove. Is that fixed now or still an ongoing issue?

I have heard of some issues with the electronic power steering rack going out & issues with the timing chains failing. Is that common on these? Also are the transfer cases an issue on these? I know they were on the older Mazda cx9’s and these seem mechanically similar.

Just hoping im making the right decision and not going to run into more major expenses

The exhaust issue is/was a hit or miss issue. I didn't notice it on either my 2011 or 2017 Explorers but then I very seldom put the peddle to the floor. I also didn't have power steering issues. Earlier models had PTU seal leaks. PTU failures did occur but I don't think timing chains were a common issue. The PTU only holds a very small amount of fluid and members have chosen to change it every 30k miles. There is a thread on that.

Peter

The clunking in the front you mention is likely the control arm bushing. Somewhat common.
Does it sound/feel like it coming from the floor?
I replaced both my front control arms about 2 months ago due to the clunk and it's back to being silent.
I did the work myself so it cost me ~$300 for both sides + $60 for a front alignment.

Back