Reaction score
Just got an estimate for servicing my '96EB Explorer as follows:

60K major tune up, change sparks $300.00
Tire rotation, balance $39.95
Automatic Trans flush service $149.95
Engine decarbonizing $69.95
Power Stering special service $84.95
Bilstein engine flush treatment $139.95

The car was bought pre-owned certified about four months ago. I'd be grateful if someone could tell me if these items are to be expected and reasonable.

Thanks very much
Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What specifically do they do for you during the "Major tunep"? Or are you about to pay $300 for a set of plugs?

Are your tires out of balance? If not, why are they trying to sell you that? For $40 rotate your own tires.

Full auto tranny flush and complete fluid change in Dallas costs exactly half of what they are charging you.

Is your power steering giving you troubles, or are they charging you for "Special" service to fix a problem you don't have?

Why decarbonize and flush your engine at 60k? Have you been running leaded gasoline or something?

I'd get a second opinion.

------------------
Gerald
"Nerves of Steel; Brain of Chipmunk"
'99 Eddie Bauer 4x4 4.0L SOHC aka "The Jeepeater"
Dead Link Removed
"What the heck is he doing out here in that thing???"

[This message has been edited by GJarrett (edited 05-02-2000).]

Definitely get a second opinion. Plugs, tire rotation and tranny service are a definite must but the other things are not necessary unless you are experiencing some problem with that component. Gee, $50 a plug to change spark plugs. Maybe I need to do this on the side for extra money.

------------------
AgExplorer
95 XLT 4X2 4.0L OHV
AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants & Filters
NGK Platinum Plugs
Jacobs Electronics Wires
Monroe Reflex Shocks
PIAA 9007 Headlight Bulbs
Info and Ordering for AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants - Dead Link Removed

The Bilstein engine flush is a machine similar to the tranny fluid exchange machine. It just runs a flush through the engine to clean it.

------------------
AgExplorer
95 XLT 4X2 4.0L OHV
AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants & Filters
NGK Platinum Plugs
Jacobs Electronics Wires
Monroe Reflex Shocks
PIAA 9007 Headlight Bulbs
Info and Ordering for AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants - Dead Link Removed

Thanks guys. I appreciate your comments.

Chris

Chris,
I would get the service done. I think around here they call it service level D. They do a ton of stuff including engine performance tests and they restore it to new condition. I WOULD have the tranny fluid done and also the decarbonizing is worth it. I will be decarbonizing my truck soon because of rough idle. The 4.0 L engines build up carbon faster then other engines. The service level D includes Coolant flush, fuel filter, PCV valve, plugs, engine perfornamce tests, and a lot of other preventitive maitnance. I would have it done especially if you don't know how the vehicle was maintained. Also when they do the trans. flush I would have them put synthetic ATF back in. same for transfercase and differentials if you have those done. i am rumming all synthetics and the oil puts up with more abuse then conventional. We have had all of our past vehicles in every 30,000 miles for that $300 service. Just watch out they will try to get you for brakes and stuff like that, so I would take a peek at the brakes before you bring it in so you know if they are just trying to get more $$$ outta ya.

------------------
TravisN1@AOL.COM
1995 XLT 4x4
80,000 miles
K&N Drop-in
Bosch +4's
BFG Long Trails
Have a nice day! :)

I'd get a second opinion too. Why do you need a major tune-up and plugs at 60k when your vehicle has a 100k mile tune-up interval? I also agree with GJarret on the engine flush and decarbonizing. You shouldn't need those for a long time, if ever. What does the engine flush involve anyway? Just my 2 cents.

------------------
Jim Ferrarini
Skaman0182@yahoo.com
96 Sport 5-speed
JBA headers
Borla cat-back exhaust
modified airbox
K&N filter
+4 plugs
8.5mm wires
other small mods.
Coming soon:
K&N filter kit

I got an estimate for changing my spark plugs last week, cuz I'm lazy to do it myself, but then the guy said it's gonna cost me $110 ...$55hr for labor and it's gonna take 2 hrs he said. Oh man, is he crazy or what?

------------------
'92 XLT 4x4
4.0L EFI
[NSFR671]

I just had my transmission serviced and it only cost $59, including filter and gasket at the dealership...btw, they tried to sucker me into brakes for $500, but I didn't bite.

You can probably get the tire rotate and balance at a local tire shop cheaper if you need it.

Also, the $300 service might be useful if they guarantee all the fluids and filters get changed, but other than that, it sounds expensive. (ex: air filter, fuel filter, oil filter - front diff. fluid, rear diff fluid, oil, maybe coolant)

The other stuff probably could be avoided and just buy some Chevron fuel injection cleaner since it nearly does it all anyway.

Just my $0.02

Quite a bit for service I'd say so it better be worth it. I just took care of transmission oil, transfer case oil, engine oil, air cleaner clean and treat, tire rotation and otherwise some more small stuff in one day and all it cost me was oil and filters. About a couple of weeks ago I did replace rotors and pads up front and repacked the bearings. That too was not too difficult but not everybody is capable of doing it though so I'll advise that if you'll feel better about it - service it. Don't get taken for a ride though.

Later,

------------------
Andre Hryn
94 Limited
http://www.inter-kiosk.com/Explorer/

Re: Daemon
2 hours to change the plugs? Yeesh! It only took my lazy beer drankin ass about 1 hour to change the plugs and wires. I'm no master technician either.

Blaine Cooper- the guy was telling me how hard it is...blah blah blah and I knew he was trying to get money off of me. I changed my mind and I'm going to do the plugs myself.

Do you know if it's a lot easier if the car is on a lift?

------------------
'92 XLT 4x4
4.0L EFI V6
[NSFR671]

Only if you are very tall...

------------------
Happy Trails!
'93 XLT 4x4
Dead Link Removed
swankmi@efortress.com

Has anyone had the de-carbonizing done yet? I want to do this to my '96 Sport 4.0 ohv but have seen prices of $139 at the dealer? I got some info on how to do it yourself from a ford parts warehouse. But, the main drawback is you could seize your motor if you do it wrong...bummer.

Rob

Anybody have details on the decarbonizing? With 167K miles and pinging on anything below 89 octane, I'm willing to give it a try. Someone please post more info on this.

CSWEE, Check around. A lot of this is easy to do yourself and cheaper at non-dealership places.

------------------
Rob Robertson
94 XLT 4X4 4 door
5.5" Superlift,RS9000s,Warn manual hubs,33 X 12.5's ProComp MTs
"What's Potato Salad Hill?"

:confused:

Sounds like your interested in keeping the truck running, but that estimate is too high.

Fluids and filters is all you need at the dealership. The rest should be done elseware for less expensive money. If there's nothing wrong with it now, why try and break it?

In fact this summer I had my oil, filter, trans fliud(full service 15 qt), front and rear diff fluids changed at a specialty oil shop for $145! At the time I was :eek: but after checking pricing at the dealership: $450. :chug:

I was having knocking/pinging/hesitation problems last week. After asking here on the board I went ahead and did a "decarbonizing" myself with seafoam and a can of carb cleaner. I also reset the computer by disconnecting the negative terminal for about 15 minutes. Results: the smoothest idle I've had in a long time, engine jumps to life instead of just turning over when I go to start it, pinging disappeared, hesitation disappeared, no knocking, more power, quicker response. This is on a '92 XLT with 140K. All of my problems started happening AFTER I took it to the dealer for a $600 service. I've never bent over that far and never will again!

Necessary, but overpriced at the stealer

The fluids need changing, IF they haven't been. See the posts about changing plugs by going through the wheel wells and if you care to, you'll save a bunch of money by doing it yourself. There are also posts about "decarbonizing" and cleaning the injection system. As usual, all of these things are less expensive when done by independent mechanics or yourself (on things you're equipped to do). If you like the post about what things are done in a Level D service, get the stealer to detail in writing what they will do (not just "check", but "change").

Just one person's money saving opinion.

at my work we have a decarbonizing thing that we hook up an iv bottle to a vacumn line at let the car idle through the hole bottle... it cleans things up a bit... but it aint as expensive as what you posted above.... i think its like the seafoam stuff

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh my god, I am in the wrong business. YOu are getting RAPED if you pay that much, better yet give me the $$$ and I will fly down there and do all that for you in 4 hours.

Plugs: $30 max, clean MAS, IAC, TB, new air filter, PCV, fuel filter and 02 sensors, still wouldnt get you near $300. I would also flush the coolant and change the tranny fluid, still not $300. We can do wheel bearings and t case fluid, front and rear diff fluids, get a K&N filter and now we are getting close to $300.

Rotate your own tires
Grease monkey will flush your tranny for $80, I would just change the filter and ATF myself.

Bottle of sea foam through intake = decarbonized, $5
Turkey baster and new power steering fluid, $10. Get some seal and quite addative another $5

WTF is an engine flush treatment? To me that means oil change....

Just my opinion, that is BS. Stay far away from that dealer.......

Back