700r4 upgrade

jrgaylor

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1985 BroncoII

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it doesnt say if it a 90 degree of 60 degree. most 7oor4 you find are for the v8 which are 90 degree. just go with bowtie overdrive. they worked with advance adapters and know about everything you need

You will need to get the tv cable from bowtie overdrives at a very minimum. I also got a flexible dip stick tube from them, as well as the tranny. If I were you I'd call the place you're looking at and ask them if they can do it to a v6 case. If you are keeping the Borg Warner (stock) tcase, then you will need to have whatever place you are getting the tranny from install the new output shaft as well. Oh, and if you have aftermarket headers, you will need to grind quite a bit of material from the bellhousing adapter plate, exhaust flanges, and the bellhousing itself.

Mudd*****-did you do the 700r4 conversion? if so did you get all of your parts from bowtie overdrives? and what was the cost? I have the stock exhaust back to cat what mods might need to be done to thecrossover pipe?And would I need to use a electric shift transfer case?
Joe

Well I am glad to see that others are benefitting from this swap.

Originally posted by jrgaylor
Mudd*****-did you do the 700r4 conversion? if so did you get all of your parts from bowtie overdrives? and what was the cost? I have the stock exhaust back to cat what mods might need to be done to thecrossover pipe?And would I need to use a electric shift transfer case?
Joe

I am in the process. I got some parts from bowtie overdrives, including the stage II 700r4, dipstick tube, relay kit, pressure guage, lockup wiring, torque converter, and tv cable. I also got a lokar shifter from RJ's Performance. Atlas 4.3 and 700r4/atlas adpater from High Angle Driveline. Bellhousing adapter from advanced adapters through CRL Customs. As far as pricing, you should be able to find all of that information on their respective sites. With the stock exhaust to the cats, you will have to add material to the y-pipe to compensate for the larger size of the 700r4's bellhousing. As far as the tcase, you should be able to use whatever you want. I don't know for sure, I only tried an Atlas.

Ok... I dont understand. Why would you want to go to, of all trannys the 700r4. I have heard so many Chevy fans switch to a host of different trannys just to get away from that trans. They complain it cant handle any abuse and the overdrive housings are crap and cause third and fourth to go out after 20 to 30,000mi. Now if I'm wrong prove it to me. But it seems like there would be a more suitable Ford replacement for this problem. I don't know what yet, but given a little thought.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by MustangShane
Ok... I dont understand. Why would you want to go to, of all trannys the 700r4. I have heard so many Chevy fans switch to a host of different trannys just to get away from that trans. They complain it cant handle any abuse and the overdrive housings are crap and cause third and fourth to go out after 20 to 30,000mi. Now if I'm wrong prove it to me. But it seems like there would be a more suitable Ford replacement for this problem. I don't know what yet, but given a little thought.:rolleyes:

The answers to your questions can be found at http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38495 :rolleyes:

Shane- you have heard alot of misinformation. the R4 is one of the greatest OD trannies ever offered in a half ton truck. the early models were junk, but could be fixed with a few upgrades. any R4 after 85 (if i remember correctly) and you're good to go. even a bone stock R4 could handle the kind of torque that would scatter an A4LD.

Back