• Register Today It's free!

79 ford bronco not starting

sqhurt

Reaction score
City, State
ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 sport & 4 door
Been having problems with battery getting hot, and destroying them. This past saturday I drove truck No problem and stopped to run into house and back and truck wouldn't start for me. She crank but slowly then was real weak in turning over. So I turn off and take key out. To my surprise with ignition in off position and key out the starter tried turning over few times very slowly and weak.

So now I have a new starter, starter solinoid, good battery, new ignition switch and now wont start for me. All I get is noise from the starter solinoid. and have 12.23 volts in battery. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..Have the battery bench tested for load test..;)

..It may have the volts but the CCA kills it at each start meaning you may have a weak cell..

..All the advice found here for our trucks will be the same exact info to help you with your no start situation including battery cables, ignition switch, etc.....;)

Is the mounting surface between the starter and transmission clean? Had this problem a few times myself. Turn the key on and try putting direct voltage to the wire going down to the starter from the battery with a set of jumper cables. Also check to see if you are getting full voltage at the starter when you turn the key to start.

..Have the battery bench tested for load test..;)

..It may have the volts but the CCA kills it at each start meaning you may have a weak cell..

..All the advice found here for our trucks will be the same exact info to help you with your no start situation including battery cables, ignition switch, etc.....;)

Bench test failed, got new battery and still having problems. Changed starter solinoid and voltage reg. checked and added new grounds. I tested my new starter solinoid and with key off I have voltage on the positive side of solnoid and on the "s" terminal. Also on the wire thats on the alt. I unhooked the wire on the "s" terminal and tested the voltage on that wire and it had nothing, but when I touched the "s" terminal post it had the voltage. Keep in mind this is with the ign off off. One more thing is when I unhooked positive cable from the battery the positive side to solinoid and the "s" terminal post had about 7 volts and was dropping. Could this mean bad solinoid? Or wiring ? Thanks for any suggestions and help

Back