84 Bronco II will not start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

84 Bronco II will not start

LeroysBroncoII

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
84 Ford Bronco II
I had the ingition control module tested at two auto part stores and at both stores the control module failed three times. How reliable is the testing equipment at the auto part stores? I'm getting gas, I changed the coil, distributor cap, spark plug wires and rotor. It was a cold wet day my Bronco II failed to start. Will someone please tell me if I should buy a new ignition control module. I don't want to spend the money if that's not the true problem because I cannot return electronic parts once they're purchased.

Thanks...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you don't want to buy a new one in case it isn't the problem go to an auto wrecker and pick up a used one.If you look up the part on the Rockauto website and click on the info icon it will show you what other vehicles use the same part to make your auto wrecker hunting easier.The module isn't Bronco II specific and was used in a large variety of vehicles.If it turns out that is the problem then you have the option of buying a new one either online or from your favorite parts store and keeping the auto wrecker one as a backup.

Agreed. Do what your wallet can afford. You could buy a salvage yard part and have it tested too.

the module is like 25$ from rock auto man, just buy a new one, quit pussy footing around with used parts. If it failed at 2 different stores I say that is pretty solid evidence, what reason do you have to believe the stores would be wrong? Besides that those modules are notorious for going out.

I assume you have a TFI module. or have you performed the duraspark swap yet?

Pertronix makes an upgraded one too. available at most online places. its $25.00 more, but is not a cheap, or remanufactured part

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pnx-d2010

but maybe take this opportunity to do a duraspark conversion. you won't regret it

Back