• Register Today It's free!

87 Bronco II Rebuild questions

Matt90

Reaction score
City, State
Norfolk, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
87 Bronco II
Hey guys I'm new to the forums so just wanted to introduce myself real quick before I go into my questions. My name's Matt, 22 years old in the US Navy currently stationed in Norfolk VA, and a proud owner of what I like to call Little Red (My red inside and out 87 bronco II). I'm looking to rebuild it bottom up and I just had a couple questions for everyone here who knows a little bit more about these awesome trucks than I do.

First off, I'm sitting on a 2.9L v6 engine and a 5-speed manual trans (used to have an automatic but my dad blew the trans on it and replaced it lol) and I'm wondering if it has enough torque on it to handle a suspension/body lift and some 35" mudders. I was looking into swapping a v8 into it (possibily a 350 since my dad has a spare in his garage if that would even fit) in the case of a v6 not being able to support such large tires (which I doubt it will).

If that's the case what are my options for a v8 is the 350 doesn't fit. Also is there anywhere I can get replacement body parts. My sides have decently sized rust holes on it and I'd like to get those fixed.

Thanks in advance guys, appreciate the help :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First, welcome to the forum!

The 2.9 should be able to handle the 35's but won't be fast by any stretch of the imagination. If you plan on going that big, I'd recommend upgrading the axles and possibly changing the gearing.

As for engine swaps, there's many ways to go. V8 or V6 there is plenty of information available online. The search feature is your best friend!

The biggest question is what do you want your truck to be. Daily driver with decent offroad capabilities or straight up hardcore trail rig?

Welcome to the darkside. :D

First, welcome to the forum!

The 2.9 should be able to handle the 35's but won't be fast by any stretch of the imagination. If you plan on going that big, I'd recommend upgrading the axles and possibly changing the gearing.

As for engine swaps, there's many ways to go. V8 or V6 there is plenty of information available online. The search feature is your best friend!

The biggest question is what do you want your truck to be. Daily driver with decent offroad capabilities or straight up hardcore trail rig?

Welcome to the darkside. :D

Im looking for a daily driver woth decent offroad capabilities. I figured out that a 350 will not fit so im going to go with either a 283 or a 302. Probably the latter dependng on what I can find. Should I go with hybrids for dailly driving and swap to straight mudders for offroad or will hybrids work just fine for both street and offroad driving? What type changes should I make for the type of driving I would like to do?

use the 2.9, regear to match our tire size and it will be just fine. v8 swaps are going to be difficult, also keep in mind you will be fabricating motor mounts and trans mounts for your new trans and tcase. also when you change that stuff the drop on your tcase will be wrong, so you will need to get a passenger drop axle. the chevy swap is going to cost you WAAAAAY more than its worth. I guess you could get a 241 from a 90's chev, it should bolt up and be a driver side drop but still, you are changing a lot. go get a d35 and an 8.8 from an explorer, regear axles yourself or get someone to regear for you, put in lockers if desired, add a 4 inch lift, trim fenders a bit and install 35's, wheel, fix, repeat.

Any updates? Have you thought about doing a 4.0 explorer motor swap?

Back