88 Bronco II + 93 Explorer = Short and powerfull | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

88 Bronco II + 93 Explorer = Short and powerfull

First off, don't start yelling at me about pictures yet. I will get them up soon. Last year I got a good deal on a BII and I was just going to lift it and call it good, but then I got an even better deal on a 93 Explorer that met it's fate with a ditch and bent the snot out of the passenger side TTB. So, for a combined total of $1100 for both vehicles, I have a project :thumbsup:

The plan is basically simple. Strip down the BII to nothing but frame, body, and seats. Yep, that's right, I did not include dash, steering column, axles, or wiring. All of that will come from the 93 Explorer. Basically, the 88 BII shell will be gutted and built stronger, faster, and better than it was before, just for much less than ol" Steve Austin.

So far, I have both vehicles stripped down and 3 different piles of parts. Need, don't need, and might need. I have a one last thing to take off the Explorer, and then it's off to the crusher :(

The BII has already received the newer A/C controls and inner(under dash) and outer assembly(under hood) and is currently waiting to have it's firewall modified to accept the larger diameter steering column of the Explorer. I had to wait to get the Explorer on the trailer before I removed any of it's rolling or steering capabilities. I cut that section of firewall out of the Explorer firewall and will use it as a template and a bolt backing plate.

I scored a manual 1354 t-case for $50 and have already replaced the electric 1354 on the tranny. I had no idea how hard it would be to find the gasket that goes between the tranny and t-case.

Going this route makes things a little more time consuming in the beginning, but all that time is made up in the end when the wiring harnesses just plug back into each other rather than spending days chasing wire colors from two different Chilton's manual and pulling your hair out a crying yourself to sleep, er... Sorry, I was having flashbacks of 90ranajos ranger.

I have found a couple of snags that will require a little bit of splicing of wires and a small issue with fuel delivery. The headlights and tail lights will have to be spliced into the Explorer harnesses as they are different connectors. The two doors will also have to be spliced if I wast the power windos and locks to work. The other snag was fuel delivery. The 88 BII's use two fuel pumps, a low pressure lift pump in the tank and a high pressure on the frame rail where I am used to seeing a fuel filter. There is also some weird round oil filter looking unit on the frame between the tank and the high pressure pump. I have no idea what it is or what it's purpose is except that it is not electrical and it is not the filter cause that is located between the high pressure pump and the engine. Whatever it is, my solution eliminate it as I will use the Explorer fuel lines to make the span down the frame rail. From there I will use Dorman repair kits I found on rockauto toattach to the tank sending unit. The tank sending unit will have it's pump replaced with, yep, the explorer one. It needs to be modified ever so slightly to get the larger pump to fit, but I've already made the measurments and am sure it will work just fine. I will also have to splice there as the 88 BII used a different connector for it's fuel sending unit. So long story short, I have a few splices to do, but there all simple 12VDC circuits that aren't being monitored by 3 different pins on the PCM.

I'll get pics of the progress as soos as I can.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I finally got a little more work done on this. Yesterday I ripped out the stock dana 28 TTB. Took just under an hour. Gotta love the oxy acceteline torch. 4 cuts, 3 large nuts (pitman arm and 2 radius arms), and 4 bolts (TTB pivot bolts and sway bar links). Next up, rivet popping :hammer:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Apparently it is possible to put the radius arms on the wrong side. This will really screw up your allignment according to the allignment shop. Whoops, all better now.

you did not notice when you put your shocks on:rolleyes:

you did not notice when you put your shocks on:rolleyes:

He doesn't have front shocks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,yet. The Duff's from my old kit were too short.

But, uhm, yeah, the mounting tabs coulda given it away:cool:

No they don't. The shock mounts are in the middle of the arm. The only thing that really gives it away is the short and long ears where they attach to the TTB. Long ears should be on the bottom.
Posted via Mobile Device

Forests bronco has the same superlift kit on it, when we pulled the front diff out to install the 4.56 gears and I noticed that the radius arms had cracks on both of the ears. Also found that someone had put a hole in the top of the diff from not running bump stops and welded that up to, its not the first time I have seen that happen. We fixed the arms and made some bump stops that prevent the diff from hitting the drop bracket. As for the rear driveshaft (off a 4 door explorer just cut down), we were able to port out the yoke so it would not hit at full drop running belltech shackles, explorer 4 door springs and a factory ranger 2" block on an explorer 8.8. My old Bronco 2 was another story with the 9", I had to use limiting straps on it running 6" skyjacker springs and small 1" block or I would have u joint problems.

Sounds like you will have a nice bronco when your done, cant wait to see you put some dents in it!

Mine is a skyjacker/superlift hybrid lift. The pivot brackets are skyjacker and everything else is superlift and the diff killer bracket has already been modified by arsoul as he put a hole in his diff too.

I have welded up 3 dana 35's with holes from crapy drop brackets for friends. I had a 95 ranger with the 6" class 2 skyjacker kit with 8" coils on it (the 6" ones sat at about 4" of lift on an ex cab) and super-sucker steering. The diff cant hit the one pice bracket they use in there kit.

The skyjacker braket and stock pivot bracket have been cut and shaped for clearance. There used to be 4 bolts bolting the skyjacker plate/bracket to the stock bracket, and now there is only three, but it is heavily welded. Ryan ran it like this for years after he put a hole in his diff and never had anymore clearance issues.

Front shocks installed, stock rear shackles installed = a much better ride with 90% of the vibration gone. Good enough to make feel comfortable about driving it down there on the road, wheeling it, checking bolts, and driving it back home. She's a FORD, and a pony. She'll make it no probs.
Posted via Mobile Device

Who's driving it?

I will be driving it into work on Thursday, and then my nephew and two older boys will be meeting me down here in the afternoon with the camper and trailered Ex, where we will switch and continue on to Nachese.

Maiden Voyage

Well we took the BII out for her maiden voyage last weekend. She ran perfect for the 185 mile trek to the campsite where she had her big shoes put on for the first time. After running some pretty good trails for three straight days, we put her road tires back on and drove it the 185 miles back home. On the first day, she became a parts donor to get my Explorer off the trail, but we were able to scrounge up another steering box from a friday night arival to get her back on the trail. Only damage was a headlight, small dent on the passeger door, both caused by trees on tight trails, and one of the ears on the passenger side TTB drop pivot bracket needs to be rewelded and gusseted, but I saw that one coming.
dsc01654b.jpg

So there was none of this:
90Ranger.jpg

Cody almost pirouetted her onto her top:rolleyes:

Attachments

• 100_1787Medium.jpg
    100_1787Medium.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 1,571

He deffinately did a nice one wheel stand, but I don't think it would have gone over, but it was deffinately a pucker factor of 9.8
Posted via Mobile Device

Back