89 Bronco II - Failed Inspec. For Brakes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

89 Bronco II - Failed Inspec. For Brakes

cmccul002

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ranger 94
Greetings All,

Just acquired an 89 Bronco II 2.9L 4x4 5 speed.

Took it through inspection and failed for brakes.

Tech said front left failed, didnt have enough "Pressure lbs." He said it probably needs to be bled.

Pedal does feel a bit spongy. I checked fluid, it was actually a bit overfull.

Should I just bleed the front left, or all of them?

Is there anything else I need to do, like bleed ABS valve or anything?

Also, after all this searching, it has me second guessing bleeding procedure, should the cap be on the MC or off when bleeding?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This may help. Start with the brake that is furthest away from brake Master cylinder.
Here is a link.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/maintenance/4213448
I've also just let gravity do it's thing by puttiing a hose on bleeder and let it keep dripping until the drops stop and a steady small stream of fluid is steadily flowing into a container and then tighten bleeder, again from furthest to nearest the MC.

But make sure you watch the reservoir and do not let air get into the opening at bottom.

now

Okay I went to bleed the brakes, couldnt get the passenger rear bleeder to open, started to strip.

I bled all other 3, didnt seem like any air.

Took it through inspection again, now they say the front brakes are good, but they say there are no back brakes whatsoever.

WTF?

Could the back brakes need adjusting?

There is a slight "squishing" sound when pressing the brake pedal, sounds like it is coming from brake pedal or power booster.

It only makes the sound while pressing, once pedal is down, no noise.

if your master cylinder was going out you probably wouldn't have brakes at all, you need to get all 4 open and bleed them until you have clean fluid coming out. I usually put a small peice of vacum hose on each bleeder into a catch can and open all 4 at once, then I just stand up at the master cylinder adding fluid and periodically checking each wheel cylinder.

So I took it to a local shop to have them look at it, they called and said both back wheel cylinders were seeping, and saturated everything ( I had the wheels off both sides, did not see this, but thats another story.)

Also said parking brake cable was dryrotted causing the shoes to rub on the drums.

They wanted $500 to fix all that. Lol, I declined, I can do all that myself.

Back