91 4wd open 8.8: rear axle locked? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

91 4wd open 8.8: rear axle locked?

ElijahS

Reaction score
City, State
Honoka'a, HI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ranger
I have a new-to-me 91 Ranger 4wd, 120k miles, very nice condition.

I've just recently noticed a few occasions where when turning slowly, forward and backward, the rear wheel (maybe just on the right side?) is skidding as though it were in 4wd, but it shouldn't be.

The panel lights indicate 4wd is off -- and generally this truck has shifted in and out of 4HI and 4LO with no problems. Axle code is 95: Open 8.8, 3.55. Auto hubs.

What should I look at? I've dug around in a lot of threads here and nothing seems directly appropriate...

Thanks!

Elijah

I'd get the rear up on jack stands and rotate the tires. Could be something as simple as a sticking brake shoe.

I'll do that -- am I looking for a tire that doesn't spin freely or?

FWIW -- I've driven this truck ~60 miles between noticing this happening (had to get home late Sunday night) and noticing it again this morning.

And it *really* feels like what happens when you turn hard on pavement with a locked rear end.

(Nice Explorer btw -- same shade of blue as mine!)

I have also seen trucks with a bad or malfunctioning proportioning valve do that, the back locks up really easily.

It's probably that or a stuck shoe.

Back