91-94 Stock Air Box - Filter - CAI - and more | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

91-94 Stock Air Box - Filter - CAI - and more

I was doing some exploratory surgery today and removed the air box, intake and mounting plate.
Look how much room is in the engine compartment without that giant thing!
IMG_20130323_123958_853_Medium_.jpg

Cleaned up an old modification I did years ago to the bottom portion of the air box I like to call the "enlarging the drain holes mod". I know there are no drain holes on the sides, but hey. It has passed numerous smog tests in the People's Republic of Kalifornia over the years because they are not easy to see, and I really don't think they change anything. I bet it matches the performance gain with the KKM filter, and I don't have to change it back every two years, or worry about getting a roadside smog inspection by BAR. When I originally did this, I was more concerned with sucking a engine full of H2O as I have seen happen with the stock intake beginning just behind the lower part of the front grille. The holes would keep water from being sucked up into the intake when it's submerged. It would give me at least two more feet of water to drive into, which I ain't doing. The Explorer was also a lot shorter than.
IMG_20130323_122952_356_Medium_.jpg

IMG_20130323_121553_394_Medium_.jpg

Also need a new intake gasket, which I am sure is a dealer only item.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the passages are tiny at the static valve on the top of the air box ive traced the air box system to test whether I need a mod wow it gets to the outside grill! wow I tor off the plastic guard / air deflector may even make a duckbill ! ...... those holes are to tiny in the static air switch to have any kind of confidence in :/

Im wondering when I start my explorer of which the only thing I hate is that it idles high for awhile which is annoying somewhat as I don't have a electric oil pump ....from what I can hear and have read damage occurs in an engine when no oil is in the head most people have to get up and go so priming the engine is concern the truck always runs better on the second run of the day which tells me about high idle and oil pumping and heat expansion from fresh gas

cold weather start mixing warm air is good but in a tropic zone ? there are other things to consider regarding air mix ......altitude change ,cold choking, and advanced or high idle is this bugger the culprit? I would think it may be a percentage

from what I have assessed is that there is no benefit from an air box unless it reaches the outside so ford may have this consideration right but skeptical of the cold choking method as well as may be too advanced at idle

30 mph to 70 mph the truck has poor performance also that's what a 4 barrel was for and good breathing room in the air cleaner aided in toping out the burn some of you may have reaped the benifit of an air box and maf and throttle mods but do you have a good choke ? idle speed? or altitude mixing ?

looks to be a Canadian part :)

can it be safely cleaned like with berrymans? soaked ? carb spray ?

It idles high when cold because it has an automatic choke. The rest of your post; I have no idea what you are talking about....:dunno:

Hello, I have a small problem, I don't know where those two small hoses that come out of the air filter box are connected to. and in the first post, only one photo appears. Where can I get that very easy to understand diagram? Thanks

Back