Wanted - 91-94 stock sub enclosure | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wanted 91-94 stock sub enclosure

Parts or services wanted

tomjt714

Reaction score
City, State
Jefferson, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
92Explorer XLT
Hey all.
Anybody out there have a stock 1st gen. sub enclosure they would part with? Got a '92 xlt with premium JBL sound, but someone previously removed the sub and enclosure. Amp still there, but that will go too. Have an Infinity 8" Reference to put in enclosure, haven't decided on amp yet, but leaning towards a Hifonics GLX 1000.1D. Can get package deal with wire kit and 2 farad cap for less than $170. Any thoughts on components would be welcome.
Thanx. tomjt714

I'm selling one!

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=358838

I think the Infinity 860-W might be too deep to just pop in, with the depth listed as 5-3/16 inches.

The JBL GTO804 has a depth of 4 3/8" and only has a tiny bit of space, and that's after trimming off the spacing flanges on the enclosure. There's also the Pioneer TS-SW841D, which is so shallow it fits anywhere.

There's an easy fix though, just use a spacer ring on the surface of the front of the enclosure. This may even be beneficial since the woofer will go out into the cargo space more, rather than be as recessed into the corner pocket.

You can even make the spacer a flat sheet of MDF that fills in the space in the rear panel, so it just looks like a MDF box around it.

The Infinity 860-W is otherwise perfect for the factory enclosure, with the box volume of ~0.35 cu ft, as long as you're ok with the power requirements.

The Hifonics GLX 1000.1D would be too much for a single 860-W sub, even at 4 ohms it's 425W RMS, the Infinity 860-W is 250W RMS @ 4 ohms, 1000W max. You'd want an amp with ~200-250W RMS to power it.

The Infinity Reference 1300a amp is 200W x 1 @ 4 ohms, or there's the PPI S550.1D which is 240W @ 4 ohms. Both are just over $100 and are Class D amps for high efficiency.

I don't think you'd need a cap for such a system, though you could always throw in a small one if you really plan on bumping with it. A good battery and a solid alternator (perhaps upgrading to a 130W 3G version) helps when it comes to audio.

Thanks Anime! Done quite a bit of research on amps, and the one persistent complaint about the Hifonics GLX 1000.1D is that the RMS is overated @ 475W. Everthing I've researched puts output around 230W RMS @ 4 ohms. I'll keep looking.

You might also consider a 5-channel amp if you want to power the speakers as well, sometimes a single 5-channel is easier to deal with than seperate amps for the speakers and subs. The space for the amp on the enclosure will fit a big amp pretty easily, too.

Most amps that claim thousands of watts are overrated, because they rate output at a solid 14.4 volts, and real world voltage is of course variable, only intermittently getting to that 14.4 volts. Even with a voltage regulator, real world isn't the same as a test lab. The hifonics would be okay though, if you're ok with the output. There are a lot of amps just below and above $100 that would all be fine to use with the sub, really it's just a matter of picking what you like the best or think will suit your needs.

Back