'91 ex budget build, 4.0 or 4.0? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'91 ex budget build, 4.0 or 4.0?

FINAL UPDATE: All finished!!

i got the exploder running a few days before my lease ended, after a couple of parts runs and three days straight of car work. with everything bolted together and all the intake and wiring done i crossed my fingers and gave it a crank.

Started on the first try!! then quickly stalled :/ a couple more attempts and it was purrring like a sickly kitten, almost sounded cammed. I was able to drive around town a bit like this to test everything out, and i had not problems besides the rough idle and occasional stall. went to a shop that did smog to schedule an appointment and they told me to check for vacuum leaks, and it turns out i was missing a PCV valve. replaced that and i was good to go!!

My Ex doing some explorations of campus http://imgur.com/zuMDbkl and engine pic minus intake

its been running great for the past 1000 miles, went up to Yosemite National Park (about 450 miles round trip from my home) last weekend and it did great in the altitude, and fit all 5 of us with our gear no issue, and had plenty of clearance for the dirt road leading to the campsite (about 5 miles of potholed, rutted and washed out road descending 1500 ft or so)

overall im loving the car, and getting way better mileage than i could in my mustang (21 mpg in Yosemite). bonus waterfall pic! www.imgur.com/zuMDbkl

good job, dude. cant wait to do something like this to mine. how long in recorded man hours and how much did it cost overall?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just saw this thread and honestly i had no idea there was that much of a difference in motors, so i have to ask if you dont mind, is there a difference between the 91 and the 93 4.0? i have a 93 ex with a 91 motor and found out that some of the pulleys were different, so now im curious what else is different.

I found it easier to go 93 into 91 because i kept the 91 wiring. the belt looping and tensioner are also different i believe

You can swap a 95 into a 93 without swapping computers, there will just be some sensors that arent plugged into. might want to keep both intakes though.

all in all it was $250 for the car, $130 for the engine, the new clutch and slave cylinder were close to $400, and about $3-400 for all the miscellaneous bits and bolts, so id say about $1200 total. I couldn't count the hours but its definitely close to 100hrs if not more. would not recommend doing this project on a time crunch cause that will just cause headaches. give yourself at least 3 months to do it id say

xplorernewb, if you strip the engine down, you can use pretty much any year. To use your existing computer, just swap over the existing sensors and whatever they're attached to.

Congrats on getting it going trueblue, you must be proud :)

Back