• Register Today It's free!

91 explorer hub conversion

cpljenkins01

Reaction score
City, State
bunkerhill, wv
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 explorer 4x4 sport
i am just running things threw my head and had a ? when you do the convertion to manual hubs do you really need the converstion kit to hold the wheelbearing or can you just keep the set up for the auto hubs to hold the wheelbearing? i know the cam assembly from the auto hubs is a little bigger then the convertion kit. i was just woundering if i can leave the cam assembly on to hold the bearing and use the manual hubs but i aint sure if the manual hubs will fit over the cam assembly from the auto hubs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've heard reports of people using and not being able to use the auto hubs hex nuts (2 3/8" nut) with manual hubs.

Some have said it won't fit, other say it will..

Here is a post of someone who said it fits/works..
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2906883&postcount=9

As for the Cam/assembly.. That has to go..

I'm also going to move this thread to the modified 91-94 forum..

~Mark

Edit:
Here is a post with info about NOT being able to fit the automatic hub "nut" inside the manual hub..
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81816&highlight=auto+hub+nut+manual

Been there, done it; you won't regret going with the manual lock-nuts! Getting rid of that damned locking 'T' thing is worth the conversion in and of itself.

As a side note, I don't know about the stock manual hubs, but the auto lock nuts will NOT fit with the upgraded Warn 37780 hubs, cam or no cam.

Ive blew a hub before because i didnt have the hub lock kit installed. I literally put the hub on locked it drove about 4 feet and blew the driver side apart and cracked the hell out of the casing on the passenger side.

well i found put that i can not use the stock manual locking hubs from the rangers or broncos cuz the axles are smaller. so does anyone know where i can get a set of manual locking hubs under 100 bucks?

well i found put that i can not use the stock manual locking hubs from the rangers or broncos cuz the axles are smaller. so does anyone know where i can get a set of manual locking hubs under 100 bucks?

You can use the hubs from a ranger IF it has the Dana 35. I don't think the Bronco II's ever came with the Dana 35s.

Your only way to get warn hubs for < $100 is to find them used.

~Mark

yea i figured i would have to get them used to do that. its just finding them is a bigger problem then i thought.

Ive never had any issues with the manual hubs. I've blow a few but I work at a junk yard so I converted from autos for free and replace the hubs for free. I used all hte hardware from a 93 ranger on my 94 explorer and have been wheeling for years with no regrets

yea i thought about that the only thing different on them is thefront axle size

I found some stock manual hubs off an explorer at pick and pull what/where can I find the conversion kit for changing my stock auto hubs to manual hubs?

The "Conversion Kit" just consists of the hardware that holds the wheel bearing on from the same truck that hubs came off from. As mentioned above, be sure it has the Dana 35 axle that your ex should have. I've never had any trouble but have known others who have not been able to install the neccesary hub hardware on their rig

Ah so i didn't take anything from that truck but the hubs.. I guess I could go back and find it again. Is there no way to buy the parts off rock auto or something? I just don't know what ones I would need.

Back