• Register Today It's free!

'91 Explorer Sport - Bad Starter?

HappyBuddaH

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport - '03 Ranger
I thought I just had loose battery terminals as I would get lites and radio and a cranking sound, just wouldn't turn over. But I could beat on the terminal and it would fire up. Now thats not working and i'm thinking it might be my starter. any ideas or an under the hood diagram to find the starter would help. thanks.

Your battery cables might be corroded and not letting through enough voltage to enable the starter to turn over.

I'd recommend first taking the starter and having it tested, that'll tell you if it's the starter or if you need to look else where.

yeah, funny story really...
Before taking the starter off I had my wife jump behind the wheel (showed her what pedal was the clutch) and had her turn the key. my belts and everything were turning so that kinda ruled out starter. I gave a little push to all of my spark plugs & wires & it started right up. So i guess the moral of the story is... it isn't always a $100 problem.

You should still clean your battery terminals so you don't have problems later one. Baking soda and water will fix you up!

Back