91 ford explorer fuel pump hook up wrong? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

91 ford explorer fuel pump hook up wrong?

Relays are Fuel Pump, EEC Power and Wide Open Throttle (WOT). I don't recall order.

Two risks that I see to to your current setup:

1. In the event of an accident you will still be pumping fuel until switch is turned off.
2. If injector leaks or gets stuck, cylinder will fill up with fuel. Liquid fuel does no compress.

Yeah thats why i have the switch in easy reach incase of an accident, my hand is always close by it too.

Fuel Pump relay went in either one of those things but it still didnt work. I think the ecc power relay was the one that looked burnt out too. I would prefer to have the factory setup but i cant find the problem, Imma start replacing each of those fuses. Do those 15 amp fuse in the fuse box under the hood contain to the fuel pump? I didnt replace those yet.

OK, I've assembled some diagrams, I can not vouch for their accuracy. I do not know the level of your troubleshooting experience. Generally speaking this is a problem that can be examined through resistance readings with the battery disconnected and the relays pulled.
Fuel_1.jpg

Power (red) comes through ingnition switch and enegizes EEC relay.

EEC relay routes power (green) from PDP fuse 8 to Diagram D

Fuel_3.jpg

Power enters D to junction S123 and exits at diagram C

Fuel_4.jpg

Diagram C provides power to energize the Fuel Pump Relay. When the computer is ready, it will provide the ground that actually energizes the relay on line 926 LB/O. I'll show that in next diagram after this description.

When the fuel Pump Relay energizes, it routes power (blue) from PDP Fuse 1 through relay, then through inertial switch and finally to the pump. Pump runs. Also note line from relay to EEC that tells EEC that realy has been energized.

Fuel_2.jpg

This diagram shows the ground (green) coming from the computer to enegize the fuel pump relay in the previous step.

There are a dozen ways to troubleshoot this, pretty much determined by access to connectors and such. There's no telling what other wiring changes have been made so weigh carefully the consequences of making changes.

Nice job shamaal. Those are some really nice diagrams there. He should be able to figure it out easily now. Its much better now that he is using a switch and heavy gauge wire, but I'd still like to see him get it back into stock form. What happens if you're knocked unconscious in an accident? You cant turn that switch off...

-Ted

Back