• Register Today It's free!

91 vacuum lines

umphlett

Reaction score
City, State
morganton nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 xlt
I recently bought a 1991 Explorer XLT with a 4.0 push rod engine.
There is a vaccum line missing, I have the line to the cruse ****rol, transmission, the air filter housing, the fuel regulator, and the purge canister.
I cant find where the missing line is. What I need to know is where does that line belong. Also, if I pluged off the leak and the engine almost dies. Second, does the 91 exporer with the 4.0 push rod engine have a EGR valve because I cant find one on mine. If it does where is it located.

Any help is appreciated
Thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe theres a big one (like 1/2" ID) that goes to the brake booster. When that comes off the engine runs poorly.

What about the line to the PCV valve? If its not there, check the PCV valve (its on the head, almost right below the vacuum tree)
I dont beleive 91s had an EGR. I have a 92 and I dont have one, but my code scanner throws an EGR fault code for some reason.

On the '91 there is at least one connection on the octopus that is just capped off.. On my '92 there are 2 (I think '91 should be 2 also.. just not sure)...

The '91 has no EGR.. the PCV connects to its own connection on the side of the upper intake (not the ocotpus).. and the 2 big ones are for brakes and cruise control.. The rest you already mentioned..

~Mark

Maniak said:
On the '91 there is at least one connection on the octopus that is just capped off.. On my '92 there are 2 (I think '91 should be 2 also.. just not sure)...

The '91 has no EGR.. the PCV connects to its own connection on the side of the upper intake (not the ocotpus).. and the 2 big ones are for brakes and cruise control.. The rest you already mentioned..

~Mark
And on my 91 4.0L the cap on the octopus was lost - if you can hear a vacuum leak, check the octopus. I simply put a new cap on mine and all was well again.

Back