• Register Today It's free!

'91 X 3" body lift question

4x4rob

Reaction score
City, State
Republic of Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT (Lo-HP edition)
I am debating on putting a body lift on my '91 Xplorer because I really need the additional lift. Aside from various reasons why not to put it on, I'm mainly concerned about the part in the instructions that say to "clearance" the floorboard for the shifters and then use aftermarket shift boots. How real of an issue is this? And I noticed the kit says nothing about extending the shifters. Yes, I have manual transmission and transfercase.

thanks.

Rob
http://media.putfile.com/Riverrun-in-Jacksonville-TX

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just sold some equipment to the fire dept in your city. Nice folks,

Not that big of a deal. Really the only thing that you will need is the extensions. There should be no widening of your floorboards or anything. Everything should go pretty easy. The hardest thing I had to do was modify the fan shroud, and that was pretty easy.

my next question is how do I get to the body mount near the driver-side rear wheel? How am I going to get a wrench on the nut with the fuel tank in the way.

Rob

I had to remove the skid plate and lower the tank a couple inches, find a contortionist friend that could get to the bottom of the mount, and go from there. That was by far the hardest part of the install though.

LBarr2002 said:
I had to remove the skid plate and lower the tank a couple inches, find a contortionist friend that could get to the bottom of the mount, and go from there. That was by far the hardest part of the install though.

This turned out not to be a problem after all. After drenching all the bolts with WD40, they came right out with my air impact wrench. The impact wrench turns the bolts so fast that I didn't even need to put a wrench on the nuts.

After removing everything in preparation for the body lift, I studied the shifters closely to figure out how to extend them. I decided this was NOT going to turn out good so ditched the whole idea. It took me 2.5 hours to get it ready for the body lift and nearly 4 hours to put it all back together. I'll just chalk it up as experience. If mine had an automatic and electronic transfer case, it would be another story. Anyway it's on Ebay for $60.00 right now.

That's too bad about the linkage... I'd say you had no problem with the bolts because of the climate the trucks been in. In its hot and dry there'd be very little rust. Mine came from the beach and had sat for years, so some of the bolts were rusted half way through.

lbarr your green sploder looks awesome..that last pic..is that with the 3in bl and the 2in suspen?..i got a 3in suspen and a 2in bl on the way..i wanted to kno if thats close to wha till be lookin at..thanks o and you stole my herc idea!..lol i got a crazy rust problem down ther im gunna chop it all out and weld in the replacement l-pieces..but im doin my rocker sin the grey herc to match my ex..

my lift went on in about 3 hours

92 Navaho 3" body lift manual trans - the stock boot trim interferes with the shifter going into 2 4 and R once you remove the boot and trim the shifter itself hit the console in 2 4 and R....

I bent the shift handle in a hydraulic press and it fits fine. I am sorry you gave up on it .

Back