'91 XLT Battery Charge Problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'91 XLT Battery Charge Problem

blargent

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
I just replaced the battery and the alternator in my '91 Explorer XLT and I'm still having a problem with charging. The battery meter on the dash shows roughly 12v of power from the battery but if left running long enough the vehicle will die. I've read around about a 175A fuse that could be part of the problem but after much effort I'm unable to find this fuse myself. If the alternator and battery are in good condition what would be my next diagnosis? Does a '91 even have a 175A fuse? I've read somewhere that they don't. If I'm not getting a charge from a new alternator what else could be the problem? This problem obviously lies somewhere between the alternator and the battery, but of course I could be wrong since I'm no car guru and still having problems with this. Please Help! Anything is very much appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK, but where is it? I can only locate two fuse boxes. One under the driver side panel and the other under the hood, passenger side, just above the wheel well. Where is this third fuse box that the 175A is next to?

This shows approx. where the fuse should be.
alternatorsetup.jpg

Here's my setup. Fuse box is immediately to the right of the alternator wire where it connects to the solenoid.
mysetup2.jpg

None of the wires have a clearly marked or noticeable fuse/box attached to them on my vehicle...

Back