91 XLT with coil sprung 9" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

91 XLT with coil sprung 9"

YESSSSSS
Well she is driving now. I spent 3 days at a friends house and we had a blast.
My junk
its a currie built 9" with YJ outers. Stupid lift 5.5 coils. Rancho 5000 shocks with 15 inches travel. There are 5.13 gears riding on an ARB air locker. Warn manuals (of course) and maintained the 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern. Long radius arms (will be heim jointed soon) and all custom steering.

We literaly finished this project just a few hours ago. There is a few small things left to do but I drove it the 2 hours home tonight and It drove FAR better than it did with the TTB, and ZERO bump steer, I mean NONE. You will see why when you see the pics.
I must thank my friend for all his help and his and his wife's hospitality. The trip was great and he worked hard as hell the whole time. We probably each put 20 hours into the job, not too bad. There is no feeling better than looking at your old TTB sitting on the ground waiting to get drug away :)

I plan to get softer coils soon also as the stupid lift coils are known for being too stiff. one of many things that will happen soon. I still havent re geared the rear to match yet so no 4x yet nor any inaguration pics. However lets get to some pics of the job.

Attachments

• notires.jpg
    notires.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 1,860
  • tracbar1.jpg
    tracbar1.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 1,820
  • oldandnew2.jpg
    oldandnew2.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 1,961

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh those dinlky looking tires under there are 35's. the perrys fenders fit like crap but make TONS of space. I dont have any great completed photos yet but they are on the way. In the pics the SOA was not yet done. Now it is and the front site slightly higher than the rear. I am hoping that it setels to being even as the leafs are worn and the coils are brand new. If not I will add a small block in the rear perhaps.

Awesome! Can't wait to see the rest of the pics!

Took a couple real quick shots today in the parking lot. I should be regearing the rear to match the 5.13 front on monday. Then action pics soon I hope.

Attachments

• pic4.jpg
    pic4.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 1,813
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 1,745
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 1,738

one more.

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 1,787

DAM MAN, i have have SOA, and a 5.5 superlift, and your is way taller than mine,

nice work :thumbsup:

Update, RUT ROH, The trac bar broke off on the axle side today, Luckily in a parking lot. not sure yet how I am going to be able to get the broken bolt out yet but it will work out. just really glad it wasnt on the highway or something.

93liftedXLT said:
DAM MAN, i have have SOA, and a 5.5 superlift, and your is way taller than mine,

nice work :thumbsup:

He did an SAS thats why.

Ryan

looks like you need an alignment non the less it looks sick. why did you go with the 9" and not a 44? i cant tell from the picks but did you use radius arm buckets or hemis.

Yeah I need an alignment, though the toe looks way out in the pics it isnt bad at all. Just need the time to put it on the rack. Right now there are radius arm brackets ala modified stupidlift. This will change to heims ASAP. I went with the 9 inch for several reasons. first it is way tougher than a 44. second this is from currie and you flat out cant beat their engineering. Third, imagine if you will both your axles using the same 3rd member. Ahh think about being able to swap stuff like that around :) I actualy had a 44 in the garage for a while but when I got this I gave it to a former member of this site.

IMHO Currie is not all its cracked up to be. Our comp. rig at the shop is running a completely built Currie 44 front. Currie built the 44 front for our shop for competition use. Everything was Currie custom. Well atleast is was running all Currie. Now that all the Currie parts are broke, it is running Dutchman and Warn shafts and Longfield joints. That is only with 35" tires. Yes I agree that a 9" is a hell of a lot stronger than a 44. And the interchangable 3rd member is nice as well. But there are a bunch of rigs at our shop running 42" and 39.5" IROKS with dana 44's and Yukon Chromolly shafts and Longfield joints and they are not having any problems what so ever.

sorry, i wasnt trying to knock the dana 44 at all. In fact I think its a hell of a rear. The 9 is indesputably tougher though. The engineering is what I like about the currie. Its just made great. I will take some close ups if you like. Its just designed right.

TheRookie said:
Update, RUT ROH, The trac bar broke off on the axle side today, Luckily in a parking lot. not sure yet how I am going to be able to get the broken bolt out yet but it will work out. just really glad it wasnt on the highway or something.
The end needs to be (has to be) mounted in double shear. Thats why it broke the bolt. There is tons of stress on a track bar with radius arms.

BTW, killer setup and sweet deal on the front 9. :thumbsup: :)

Thanks, Yeah I am going to fab up a bracket for the trac bar asap. Its going to be a 5/8 bolt also instead of the 1/2 that it is

I was talking about front. I know of a couple people who love there 9" Currie fronts. I haven't heard anything really bad about them. I like you set up as well. Looks nice. Yea gets some some close up pics that thing looks nice. I was just talking about one bad experience with Currie. No harm intended.

im glad to see some one using a real nice front axle. its differnt then the usual 30/44 route. i like it. :thumbsup:

appx91 said:
I was talking about front. I know of a couple people who love there 9" Currie fronts. I haven't heard anything really bad about them. I like you set up as well. Looks nice. Yea gets some some close up pics that thing looks nice. I was just talking about one bad experience with Currie. No harm intended.

I know you meant front, everyone around here calls all diffs rears, bad habbit I supose

redranger4.0 said:
im glad to see some one using a real nice front axle. its differnt then the usual 30/44 route. i like it. :thumbsup:

thanks, I strayed from the D30 idea immediately for strength reasons. The only real benifit to going to a 30 would be being a straight axle. I wanted straight and something I wouldnt break when I beat on it. I was incredibly close to running a 44 but then got this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update, Its official, I am getting a matching 9 inch rear. Also with an ARB. Should have the axle this weekend. It must be in by June 5 to go to paragon with the group. Heh, it may not be put in till late night june 4. Will be bad ass. to have matching Diffs. Just imagine breaking something in the front one and wanting to drive home. Can slap the front diff in the rear. :)

Back