• Register Today It's free!

92 A4LD OD Screen?

jp50662

Reaction score
City, State
oelwein, iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer
hey everyone, im still having the problem with my trans. drives fine all thru 1st-2nd-3rd gears but no overdrive. even when i put the gear selector in overdrive it just shifts into 3rd. reverse is fine also. the torque converter seems to be locking up as when i hit the gas the rpm's dont jump up. i read somewhere there is a screen that may be plugged....so my question is where is it and how do i get to it?

hey everyone, im still having the problem with my trans. drives fine all thru 1st-2nd-3rd gears but no overdrive. even when i put the gear selector in overdrive it just shifts into 3rd. reverse is fine also. the torque converter seems to be locking up as when i hit the gas the rpm's dont jump up. i read somewhere there is a screen that may be plugged....so my question is where is it and how do i get to it?

There is a little screen in one corner of the valve body, I presume this is the one you are talking about. You can get to it by pulling the pan and then the valve body.

This can be done with the transmission in the vehicle with no special tools except a GOOD inch-pound torque wrench. It requires no specialized knowedge either -- just a good system for remembering which bolts go in which holes, they are different lengths. It is also helpful to have a new plate gasket on hand, as yours may be damaged. I'd also carefully mark where the check balls go -- they don't fall out when you pull the valve body, but they can get misplaced while working on it if you are not careful (i.e., using air to blow off the valve body, etc.).

I'd check out the GREAT links here on the board for disassembly of an A4LD.

I'd suggest, however, that the screen is probably not your real problem. I've found that the front sun gear is often damaged when the A4LD does not go into OD. To see that, you will have to get inside the guts of the transmission itself. An early indicator of more serious problems is found when you drop the pan -- anything resembling metal on the bottom means bigger problems.

A lack of overdrive could have many possibilities, such as a leaking servo piston, misadjusted band or kickdown cable, bad solenoid, TPS, VSS, or possibly some other internal transmission failure.

Back