92 beater 4x4 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

92 beater 4x4

hi all, this is my explorer. it is a 92 4 door factory 5 speed and manual t case. 150k miles, rusty and paint pealing.

built it for a cheap wheeler to slightly modified

day i picked it up from jersey for $1100
IMG_0420.jpg

interior gut, look at those twin sticks!
IMG_0440.jpg

carpet out
IMG_0443.jpg

dropping the bumper for a custom winch bumper with a Warn M8000
IMG_0651.jpg

IMG_0723.jpg

34x9.50 TSL's no lift= ****load of trimming
IMG_0698.jpg

lots of wheeling
IMG_0783.jpg

IMG_1103.jpg

then hydro locked it by driving in a pond lol
IMG_1467.JPG

rusty rocker removal
IMG_0891.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

update on my sas. still have lots to to, but have made some good progress.

parts:
-bronco graveyard 5.5 bronco coils
-BDS fullsize f-150/bronco radius arm drop brackets (about 7'')
-stock to 2'' lift c wedge bushings
-bronco graveyard EB track bar drop bracket
-stock coil buckets
-stock radius arms
-stock track bar
-stock ttb steering
-superlift 5.5 drop pitman
-ranger 6'' skyjacker brakelines
-36x12.50 on 15x8 craigers
-waiting on shock measurements.
believe thats it.

was going to use stock full-size f-150 radius arm brackets, but didn't like how the gave the radius arm all that angle and the coil bow when loaded. so opted for the BDS drop ones and they keep the coil flat, and the arms level. with that i needed stock c wedges for correct caster. they both have 2 bolts thru the the frame and the rest is getting welded.

to keep the track bar level i used bronco graveyards early bronco drop mount. has a bunch of bolt holes for the correct spot, and i just cut off the excess. getting fully welded to the frame.

not sure why, but the stock ttb steering worked fine for me. tie rods fit in the knuckles, and just have to crank them out for correct toe. plus it allows easy access to the diff cover. waiting on new moog tie rod ends, will post pics soon.

wanted to keep stock coil buckets because didn't want to mess with cutting and moving them so i made the stock ones work

it is currently sitting with all weight on the axle. springs in and j nuts on. gonna make some more measurements to make sure she's all squared up then fully weld the radius arm mounts and track bar mount. will update soon

IMG_0689.JPG

IMG_0688.JPG

IMG_0681.JPG

this is worked for me, may not work for you or be safe (legal junk)

so scratch the ttb steering from working. little more mocking up showed it'd hit my tack bar in the up travel. guess I'm gonna get my steering from parts mike. then just waiting on a getting a measurement for shocks, and working on a tranny crossmember tomorrow. also have to shorten my front driveshaft

Do you have a link to your brake lines. Mine are in need of replacement and I cannot seem to locate the correct ones. Also what are the specs on your light bar and how did you mount it. Thank you and nice looking ex by the way. Our 94 sas came from NJ also lol, Crazy House Customs did most of the work.

Do you have a link to your brake lines. Mine are in need of replacement and I cannot seem to locate the correct ones. Also what are the specs on your light bar and how did you mount it. Thank you and nice looking ex by the way. Our 94 sas came from NJ also lol, Crazy House Customs did most of the work.

thanks! and I'm running skyjacker 8'' lift stainless steal hoses. there for a 92 ranger and they worked prefectly on the bronco caliper, no shaving needed. Summits part number is SJA-FBL38. little expensive, but great quality

not sure if your gonna like how i mounted the light bar, but i just fabbed up some 1/8 brackets to sit level with the roof. then just welded them right on haha. then drilled a hole for the wiring with a grommet. its a beater! ill have to find out who makes it, it was a gift and i forgot. works great!

here they are
IMG_0713.JPG

and the fitting worked perfect
IMG_0714.JPG

light bar
IMG_0716.jpg

update time.

just finished the tranny cross member tonight. used a peice of scrap 1 3/4'' roll bar tubing with a peice of c channel. yes it is welded to the radius arm brackets which are welded to the frame lol. if the tranny needs out, ill just cut the tubing out.

ordered my steering thru parts mike. talked me out of heim joints and going with a tie rod set up. should make it here to the east coat mid next week.

this weekend gonna get my lower shock mounts on and measure for shocks. plus measure for bumpstops and how much i need to take out of the driveshaft. then just gotta bang out the rear 4:88 gears....

please don't look too hard at my hack job exhaust haha. cat delete with a cherry bomb

IMG_0711.JPG
IMG_0712.JPG
IMG_0715.JPG

Very nice man, is the spacer up front there to match the rear bolt pattern.

yes, more options for 5x4.5 rims. running just a spacer in the back to match the front so i can still rotate tires

going to get the skyjacker brakelines?

Yes I am going to purchase the 8 inch lines like you have. Mine are the 4-6 and they are not very long. How wide is your light bar. Thanks for the info.

Yes I am going to purchase the 8 inch lines like you have. Mine are the 4-6 and they are not very long. How wide is your light bar. Thanks for the info.

found out who make it man. heres the link:
https://www.amazon.com/Eyourlife-inch-Curved-Light-288W/dp/B00SW8TH9W

its a 50'' curved. cheapy one for sure, but its great light output and durable. plowed thru many tree limbs and its still there. when i got it i took it apart and siliconed the end caps to keep the moisture out and its been great

finished! banged out the 4:88 gears yesterday, then my steering showed up today from parts mike. had to drill out the knuckles and stuff, but all done. angles look great!

sun was pounding
IMG_0735.JPG

backlash in spec
IMG_0739.JPG

first time moving by its own power in over a month!
IMG_0744.JPG

bump angles look damn good to me
IMG_0747.JPG

now just have to break the gears in, paint the steering, and feel it out make sure she's all good

nothing really to say about the explorer, just been driving it and enjoying it.

i did pick up a tow rig. its a 95 crew cab F-350. 7.3 with a stick. 200k miles but absolutely no rust! picked it up for $6400. needs some TLC like a new master cylinder, brakes, and other small stuff. paint is horrible and the body has lots of dents but thats all ok with me! found it on a eBay, drove up and drove it back. time to get to work on that so i can hit up some off road parks
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

well bit the bullet and drove the explorer to the outer banks North Carolina. it was about a 600 mile round trip from me. was nervous the whole time, but you need 4 wheel drive where we stay. it did great on the road down, and did great on the beach. held tight all the way to 75mph

did manage to break the front axle tho, figured it was going to happen with those small u joints. no big deal up there. just air downed some more and kept it in 2wd. going to order the chromoly shafts and larger u joint axles from bronco graveyard.

next is a front bumper for the winch.....

IMG_6841.JPG

IMG_6843.JPG

BROKE!
IMG_0788.JPG

**** you find in the middle of no where...
IMG_0790.JPG

Back