'92 Explorer blown clutch or tranny? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'92 Explorer blown clutch or tranny?

evilwind1

Reaction score
City, State
new york
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 sport
Hello, I am new to forum and in need of some help. My 1992 Explorer is a 5spd. manual (v6) and was running fine, has 109,000 miles. I just bought it and had no signs of any trouble. While driving on the expressway I began to here some noise coming from the trans. like metal scraping which got louder. Truck started shaking and I pressed in the clutch and it felt like it was completely disconnected, stalled out. Pulled over to the side and smelled burning fluid and saw smoke. Let it sit then pushed in clutch, started up but when in gear,releasing clutch wouldn't move. Got rope towed home and when almost home, (had truck running for brakes and steering) rear wheels locked up and broke rope. Cooled off and was able to push into driveway. Now also brakes went to floor. What do you think happened, throwout bearing, fork broke, pressure plate, no tranny fluid? Sorry for the long story,just frazzled thank for help, Bill

Back