• Register Today It's free!

92 explorer lift ideas....

fxracing7832

Reaction score
City, State
Manchester,MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
*92 & *96 XLT
i just bought a 92 explorer and it has a body lift on it and possibly a suspension kit on it. it has 33x10.50 on it so i would assume it has a susspension kit on it. but not entirely 100% sure...but i want to go bigger!

what i really wanna do its bump up to a 5.5 lift front/rear. what would i have to do about going up higher and what kit would you recommend? i would love to have a sweet ride like ive seen on this forum and have to start somehwere! please hepl or any advice/help would be awesome! thanks guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Search for you answer its been covered millions of times.

You're looking at a factory lift. Rough Country and I believe Superlift make those bigger lifts. Look online for Explorer lift kits and check em out.

Tuff country makes a lift. The'res some expensive onese also. Can't remember the name.

yeah i found one from superlift 5.5" and it has two different types the standard and then the superunner kit. i was thinking more toward the superrunner cuz it comes with the lowering brackets and everything.

i have also been checking around other peoples threads and some people have done the soa in the rear and then just bought the front end 5.5" could i do that or just stick with the whole kit front/rear?

a few months back i put a 3 inch body on my 91 explorer and threw some
33x12.5 under it, i had to cut out some of the fender up front and what not but other than that they look great, they clear up front acceptable though i would like better clearance, any suggestions on how to well for lack of a better word do a ghetto suspension maybe at tops 2 in. just for better clearance without paying for a whole kit, just dont have that kind of money.

You could put a set of coil spacers or Skyjacker 132X springs up front or do the F150 spring and coil spacer swap. On the back you could do a War 153 or War 353(bronze) shackle lift. Skyjacker also sells a 2" kit, springs up front and a add a leaf in the rear. Probably makes your suspension stiffer though with the add a leaf.

A suggestion if your going that big is invest in some hub spacers. They move your wheels farther out from the vehicle and really help for stability. because Explorers are rather top heavy and a 5.5" lift makes them even more unstable. Not essential but definitely a good idea.

...I have about 9" of lift on my X and I would not think of putting spacers on it....Top heavy, yes...Unstable???...you would have to convince me on that...

well......how much bigger do you want to go?? if you want to go to 35's your definitally going to need to regear if it doesnt already have lower gears. 33's are able to run with stock gears if you have 3.73's atleast. but 35's are gonna require ATLEAST 4.56 preferably 4.88's....

The higher the center of gravity a vehicle has, the less stable it is. if your just boggin and climbing whatever. but as far as off-axis **** goes i would definitely want spacers on mine. cuz Xs are not very wide. i personally would want a wider base for that tall of a truck.

...I still say you don't need spacers...

not a scratch...:D
attachment.php

Same spot as above...I was coming back the other direction from this pic...Nice drop off...
attachmentjs4.jpg

...Pretty much stock set up, with lift...:dunno:
thjan084bnz4.jpg

...You can change your wheel backspacing to offset your width...My wheel b.s. is 3.75 with 15x10 wheels...

ok ya recessed wheels works just as well. i dont know why i never thought that. I'd still go with spacers though because i can make them for cheap.

...The wheels are not recessed....Most who off road their Explorer use 15x8 wheels with the standard 3.75" b.s....

...I am curious as to what lift you have on your 94 Explorer???...Do you have a link to your Explorer pictures??

Also, remember that Dana 35 bearings are close together..

Larger Tires are hard on them.. Pushing the weight out using different back spacing or tire spacers just makes it worse.

~Mark

I haven't lifted it yet, just leveled. Im lifting it as soon as my parents are gone long enough for me to make the parts. Your wheels look alot deeper than stock. and you just suggested recessed wheels as a method so i was agreeing that it would work. and your wheels are 10 inch and you have wider tires on so it widens your stance.

so do you have pics?

well like i was sayin ive got 33x12.50 i dont want to go any bigger tire or id be sittin wit the same prob i am right now, i just need more clearance i can turn and it does good straight but if i hit a bump good whyll turned it rubs so bad.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back