92 Explorer Won't Start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

92 Explorer Won't Start

Billabong089

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XL
Hey guys,

I just bought my friends 92 explorer... Put about 150miles on it and now it won't start.

I drove it home from work, parked it... went out like 30minutes later and it just cranks and cranks but won't start.

Its not out of gas... I didn't verify spark but i mean, I just DROVE it 30minutes prior to that...

I can hear the fuel pump whine, the CEL light is on with key on, turns off while cranking... I really puzzled by this.

I'm so upset over this...please help me guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need to verify spark and gas.. If the gas gauge is broken/off you could be out of fuel and not know it. To check for fuel you can prime the pump a few times (turn the Key on/off without cranking the engine); then press the shrader valve on the fuel rail to see if fuel comes out (where safety glasses). For spark I use an inline spark tester on one of the plugs..

It has fuel, fuel pressure and spark...

I dont know if this is against the rules... but I'm willing to offer $10 paypal'd to anyone who gives me the right suggestion first, and helps me fix my problem.

I am incrediably desperate.

Are the spark plugs wet, indicating fuel is getting into the cylinders?

Carefully spray some starting fluid into the intake and see if it fires up for a couple of seconds. If so, then you problem is probably fuel delivery related.

Hey, I took the cap off the valve at the fuel rail... I primed the fuel pump like four times, and pushed in the pin to see if fuel came out... It just dribbled out, wasn't under pressure or anything. I would assume thats abnormal and would point to a clogged fuel filter? Let say again that the fuel pump is very audible and I can hear it priming. I'm just having a hard time buying the fuel filter is the problem thing.... I feel like with a little fuel the engine would try and start, this is a total no start condition, wont catch at all.

What is the pressure of the gas at the schrader valve? You need a minimum of 25 or so psi for it to even run; more pressure for it to run good. If you can hear the pump run but no fuel comes out sounds like you are out of gas or the fuel filter is plugged up. Remove the line going to the fuel filter and turn the key to the run position and see if you get fuel. Also you could have a defective fuel pressure regulator allowing the pressure to be low and letting the fuel just return back to the fuel tank.

Eric

Well I put 20 gallons it in like tuesday, drove 150miles.. and just incase I put another 1 gallon just incase.... ah I have a hard time believing its a fuel filter... lol

im leaning more towards a faulty pressure regulator like mechanix said, but a weak pump, clogged filter could cause a similar problem. you really need to have the pressure at the valve checked. most parts stores rent fuel pressure testers.

hey guys... I just took my car to the mechanics... the mechanic called and said that he pulled one plug out and the cylinder was filled with fuel, so much its hydrolocked with fuel...

Any ideas, what should I say to this mechanic...??

PLEASE HELP!!

hey guys... I just took my car to the mechanics... the mechanic called and said that he pulled one plug out and the cylinder was filled with fuel, so much its hydrolocked with fuel...

Any ideas, what should I say to this mechanic...??

PLEASE HELP!!

What did he say was wrong with it? It is hard to diagnosis a problem when we are not there. I would assume he has an idea as to what the problem is.

Being you have so much fuel in the cylinder I would say you have no spark or weak spark. You could just need a set of new spark plugs. If the old ones are worn out so bad they might not be able to fire the fuel that is in the cylinder. Or you could have a faulty coil pack, bad plug wires. Maybe you have a bad PCM causing the injectors to stay on all the time causing them to spray fuel in the cylinders all the time. The PCM problem is kinda far fetched but it is on the list of "could be's".

Eric

having the exact same problem with my 95 Ex sport 4.0L. Thanks for the tip on the fpr. Was yours hard to get at?

Back